iphone 13 pro - is it worth it for ARKit devs?

Hi,

I am thinking of getting into some ARKit programming and also of getting an iphone as my old android phone is near death. The iphone 11 is probably more than enough for my non-ARkit needs so I am trying to decide if I should spend the extra money on an iphone 13pro with its lidar and new A15 chip.

I guess for the sake of an improved testing experience and whatever other benefits the iphone 13pro offers to ARKit devs - is it worth double the cost of the iphone 11?

Are there another benefits the iphone 13pro offers AR devs besides the improved performance and Lidar? How useful is the Lidar to ARKit devs anyway?

Replies

You could also look at buying a used 13 pro or 12 pro, since both of them have LiDAR scanners and would be cheaper than a new 13 pro. AR apps are pretty power intensive due to all the algorithms that need to run, so having a phone with a more powerful chip can allow you test those apps at a higher frame rate for longer. LiDAR also improves the world and depth tracking in your app, so it can lead to a slightly better testing and iteration experience, but it’s certainly not necessary. However, some features like people occlusion and height estimation are much better with LiDAR, so if you want to develop an app using those features you will probably want to upgrade (see here under Discover more ARKit features). For what it’s worth, I work on RealityKit and I only have an 11 pro for testing, so you should be fine with what you have 😁.

• Thanks, btw, I don't even have the iPhone 11 (regular) yet, I am trying to decide if I should spend the $679 cdn on it or the $1399 (1580 after tax) for the 13 pro. I'd rather not buy second hand.

Add a Comment