Account deletion within apps required

Hello! We noticed some changes in app development policies about account deletion. Its placed here: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=mdkbobfo

So, it says that we can INITIATE account deletion.

But what confuses us is the title. It says "require". And keeping in mind that with ATT policy on Apple's guideline where it says that the ATT is needed for IDFA collection and personal data collection, we got rejected for collecting only basic users data (only events without binding em to constant user ids), we want to make it clear - can we JUST INITIATE the account deletion? Just send user to our Support Team where the user could just place the request for account deletion and remove it with our STeam. According to this publication: https://www.engadget.com/apple-app-store-ios-developers-delete-account-report-193119525.html, we can JUST INITIATE. But with ATT case we got wrong representation of the requirement.

Also we want to know what is appropriate time for completing the deletion request: one week, two or a month?

Thank you in advance for your answers, Apple Engineer! :)

P.S. About ATT rejection: we had a call with Apple's engineer who explained us main points why they did it, so we had to turn the analytics fully off. The points were really good and user loyal.

Well, I had a call with Apple Support team regarding this question. Yes, they approved - we can just initiate the process. As of now we implemented in our app this approach: the user just get prompted to the email form where he writes his email and the data regarding his account (identifier) is attached to this email. Later, the support team just answers his call.

Any answer on that? We'd also like to know whether the account deletion does actually need to take place from within the app or whether we can link from the app to our website, or to our customer service team ... who would then take care of the account deletion.

Have sent emails on both "App Review" and "Technical" category, but have not gotten any replies from Apple yet

I too have this question. Also curious about whether or not the requirement changes if a single sign on (SSO) mediator/hub intercedes with account creation/login during app startup.

I would hope we could simply link to request for account deletion, since coding this to work in real time without manual interaction would be very time consuming to integrate with SSO hub.

Accepted Answer

Well, I had a call with Apple Support team regarding this question. Yes, they approved - we can just initiate the process. As of now we implemented in our app this approach: the user just get prompted to the email form where he writes his email and the data regarding his account (identifier) is attached to this email. Later, the support team just answers his call.

**It’s insufficient to only provide the ability to temporarily disable or deactivate an account. People should be able to delete the account along with their personal data. ** Any idea how Apple will validate the above during review?

Hi, I read from this guideline https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=i71db0mv that it is necessary to add deletion flow if the application supports the creation account so must offer deletion as well. My question is if the application must offer manual deletion directly into the application or it is enough to add a button that allows the user to call customer care to delete this account? Thanks in advance

Account deletion within apps required

Q