Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Daisy Chain!!...Tried most of the above w/ no success. Using the daisy chain feature is what worked for me - instead of plugging both Thunderbolt Displays directly into the Macbook Pro's Thunderbolt ports, plug in only one to the laptop and plug the second display into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the first display. I am running a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) w/ 2 Apple 27" Thunderbolt Displays.

Just update to mac os 12.5, detect monitor button is not there anymore. Try all the fix over here and nothing works. Cant believe Apple can't get this fix with more than 9 months time. OR.. something more sinister is brewing..

Same extract problem here. MacBook Pro M1 2020. The USB c dual monitor hub and my second external monitor stopped working after the OS upgraded to Monterey.

Annoying, and I need dual screens to do my job seriously!

Woke up this morning and my MacBook Pro 2019 16" no longer wanted to detect my Samsung Odyssey G9. I thought maybe it was the dock, so I checked it with my daughter's Mac. Nope, works fine there. I tried connecting it with a Thunderbolt dongle to HDMI. It worked once, but the display was huge and very pink. I reset PRAM. No go. When the Mac is restarting, the display wakes up like it's going to work, then as soon as macOS loads, it goes back to sleep. No "Detect Displays" option (even when pushing Option).

Does reinstalling the OS actually help? This is 100% a software issue. Are there other options like killing preferences or anything?

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND. As stated earlier, by unplugging from your power source and plugging back in, this can force the Mac to recognize your display.

I honestly wish I did not have to use Macs for my job. I'm a UX designer and a larger, secondary display is absolutely necessary yet every other day there's an issue where this thing just refuses to work with it. I've worked on PCs my entire professional career and have never encountered anything like this.

Can't wait for us to finally switch over to new software so we can dump both Sketch AND Macs, just the most frustrating, nonsense experience that Apple refuses to fix. If your experience is somehow worse than using a MS product, maybe it's time to start reassessing.

WORKAROUND. Yes, this sounds dumb but this worked for me. Unplug the display, wait the standard 10-15 seconds and plug it back in. Amazing how after ten months of complaints and knowing this is an issue Apple still refuses to fix it. Even worse is how buttons and options are always hidden unless you know the special key to press and hold on your keyboard.

How does Windows get it right while Apple can't seem to anymore? Maybe they should just switch to being a phone company.

I had this issue as well, but resolved it as follows: My Mac mini uses USB-C to connect a device with 2 HDMI ports. Each of these connect to a monitor. I tried everything I read in this article and the comments, to no avail.

What worked for me was swapping out the cable positions on the device. Left>right, right>left. Worked perfectly and my Mac mini recognized both of my monitors.

Hope this helps someone.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm on a brand new MacBook Air (on Monterey 12.5.1) and cannot detect my external monitor.

Another user with the same problem. I upgraded to Monterey last week and I am no longer able to connect to an external display. This was never a problem before. Using a USB-C cable I am still able to charge my Macbook Pro from 2019 but no signal is sent to the monitor. I have tried all the suggested fixes with no success.

Hi, just have a new macbook air with Monterey. bought sate chi hub to connect with thunderbolt my external apple mac screen. nothing is working, tried switch on and off etc. stays black. anyone any suggestions?also the button when you hold the option key, to detect displays is not working,. with add display it sees my two mac mini's , with tv's but do not want to connect these...anyone know what to do?—  thebark20230 less than a minute ago 

Still happening here and it's unpredictable. I took my Macmini into the Genius Bar and both displays worked. I brought it home and both my LG monitors worked fine for a day. When the monitor I plugged into the HDMI port of the Macmini quit again I plugged a Viewsonic monitor into it and it worked. This worked for over a week and now the HDMI port of the Macmini is once again not sending a signal to the monitor. I tried plugging the Viewsonic into it again and this time the Viewsonic would not come on either.

same problem here with a macbook pro and a lg monitor. what a joke.

Hi Guys, it happened to me this morning and previously a few weeks ago after the Monterey update. I solved it by simply resetting the external monitor settings. I can't explain why but it worked for me

Brand new today M2 MacBook Air; was working great then I updated to 12.6. Came back up and no 2nd display detected (4K LG).

-unplug USB C -unplug monitor from power -plug in USB C -plug in monitor power

Came right back up. I was panicking for minute.

Infuriating. I bought a $2000 dollar piece of garbage (macbook pro 14 M1) that does not allow me to do my job. The school I work in is underfunded and a bit out of date. All rooms have EPSON projectors, but with VGA connectors. I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter, but all I get is a flickering macbook screen and nothing else. Projector use is critical to my job and I look like an ***** Apple user when everyone else with a $500 laptop can use the projectors. This problem is a huge let down. An even bigger concern is after looking through this forum, no responses form @apple, just a bunch of people floundering around trying to get their expensive equipment to do the most basic functions. Ridiculous.

Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Q