Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shark72 Down vote post of shark72
100k views
  • I have the exact same issue. I am a photographer and my livelihood depends on my editing which I do on the external monitor. Now suddenly after the update I can no longer use my external monitor. This makes me switch to windows right away. This is purely a case of cheating.

• I have the same exact issue too. The button for manually detecting an external display in the display settings window doesn’t appear when I hold down the option key. I tried connecting the same HDMI cable and monitor to another MacBook Pro with Monterey and the second display worked. I also tried putting my iMac to sleep and waking it up. I also disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable while my iMac was powered up. I also reset the NVRAM and PRAM on my iMac, but still no good. I tried entering safe mode on my iMac, still no good. None of the methods suggested on YouTube or online seem to work. Finally, I downgraded to OS X Mavericks and the second monitor did work on my iMac. This proves that it’s not a hardware issue with my iMac and must be a driver issue. Monterey is trash!

• Same issues here. After a couple of weeks with Monterey, my 2nd monitor will not work. Everything else on the hub works. Every other port has been tried and the monitor connected directly. Nothing works. And, holding down OPTION to toggle the "detect external monitors" button is also not available since Monterey.

Replies

My 2019 MacBook pro 16 with macOS Monterey can not detect 2 same monitors at the same time (each uses the individual USB-c port to connect). While my working MacBook pro with Catalina works with no problem! So frustrating!

Same issue here and no response from Apple on any thread. I’ve used apple for 10 years and this is absolutely insane. How the hell are they developing at Apple without secondary monitors? Two of us at work have the same issue and we’ve had to spread the word throughout the company not to upgrade.

Me too! I can't believe it hasn't been addressed. What a major issue.

me too. macbook pro can't connect to samsung odyssey (dp1/dp2/hdmi).

Me too, although I am on 12.2 Beta 1. It never was an issue before, though. Not on the beta either. It started this morning; lovely little Christmas **** you from Apple.

Fixed for me. Same issue as the rest, extra monitors not detected after Monterey upgrade. My setup is 2 external monitors connected to a docking station, Dell D6000. No monitors detected and missing the "Detect Displays" option in System Preferences->Displays.

For me this was device drivers, although it is a USB C connection. Dropped into Dell D6000 support page, which put me onto installing Display Link Manager (https://www.synaptics.com/products/displaylink-graphics/downloads/macos-connectivity-1.6) although I don't recall having to do this before.

Installed this and the monitors auto-detect. My "Detect Monitors" button is now also back, so although the Mac wants to reboot, I'm currently fixed.

For anyone who facing the issue external display not working as usual via usb-c after upgrade to Monterey, for my case...

• M1 max 16" macOS version 12.1
  • Dell Display U3219Q

I've found WORKaround on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/qgypzy/comment/hpjdnn9/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

• Thanks so much for this reddit link, the fix was in there for me:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019) Dell 2718Q

Tried a few things before seeing the reddit link. The solution was as simple as just disconnecting the power from the monitor until it went off, then reconnecting it and the monitor was detected again.

Come on Apple, sort it out!

Add a Comment

You'll want to make sure you're using a port that supports an external display. On the m1 iMacs, for example, there are 4 USB-C ports, but only two are marked for display, and the other two do not work for an external monitor.

• This was the problem - didn't realize this was an issue, thought all could support display, my Dell does that :-P

Add a Comment

I have 2021 MBP 14" M1 Pro with two 32" LG displays connected via USB-C. Here is what you need to do:

1. Disconnect Display 2 from your Mac
  2. With one monitor connected unplug the monitor from the power for couple of seconds and plug it back in.
  3. Display 1 should now work.
  4. Disconnect Display 1 from your Mac
  5. Connect Display 2 to your Mac
  6. Unplug Display 2 from power and plug back in
  7. Display 2 should now work.
  8. Plug in Display 1 and they should both work now!

Cheers, Juha

2020 MB Pro and Dell32x Monitor, same issue. Following.

Same issue with macbook pro 2020 and asus monitor. Very disappointing.

Same problem. AppleCare acted like they had NO IDEA of this issue. I have a dual-boot with windows loaded. The problem is not happening in Windows. This AMAZES me. I was pretty certain that it is/was a hardware issue but now I am a believer that it's a software issue.

I'm on hold calling Apple back to point them to this forum.

• Yes, it seems to have started on Monterey, and seems not to be present in this form on previous MacOS versions, so some kind of software issue. Perhaps because they integrated new display forms and extended hand off.

Add a Comment

Same problems here. On the first day, second display (connected through Thunderbolt 4 USB-C) worked without issues. Second day the problems started... eventually through this forum caught the "disconnecting display from power" workaround and it solved it. Now, day 3, I've tried every trick in the internet and just cannot get the 2nd display to work. If I move the display from the USB-C directly to HDMI, it works immediately. Come on, Apple!!

Hello everyone,

I had similar issues and recognized that it might be related to the DisplayPort Alt Mode. I came across this because because MonitorControl (https://github.com/MonitorControl/MonitorControl) only works with native DDC (protocol to control backgroundlighting, sound, etc. on monitors) with cables and adapters that use DisplayPort Alt Mode.

I have three different cables / connectors that I tried over the time (from May 2021 when I I got my M1 MBA to now) with my Dell S2712QS. My goal was to get 4K@60 Hz with native working DDC working all the same time. I also tried USB-C to DisplayPort adapters but unfortunately my Dell doesn't like 4K@60 Hz over DisplayPort (https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/S2721QS-black-screen-for-1-2-seconds-random-5/td-p/7908482) , so I pivoted to HDMI.

Here are my results: i-tec C31VGAHDMIADA + some random HDMI cable

• 4K @ 30 Hz, DDC works => uses DisplayPort Alt Mode
  • The monitor doesn't get recognized in 3 out of 4 times (after my Mac goes to sleep / I plug the monitor in). Unplugging and plugging it back in several times usually does the trick.

Delock (84905) USB-C to HDMI cable (https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_84905/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en)

• 4K @ 60 Hz, DDC works (uses DisplayPort Alt Mode as advertised)
  • It worked about two times for me, right when I got the cable and checked 4K@60Hz + DDC and then after unplugging and plugging it back in I never really got it to work again.
  • I just got this cable today and in the process of trying to find out why, I go to know that so may other people have display issues on their M1 Macs as well

Inline 64112 USB-C to HDMI cable

• 4K @ 60 Hz, DDC doesn't work
  • On their website (https://www.inline-info.com/en/products/cable/usb-to-display/10680/inline-usb-display-cable-usb-type-c-male-to-hdmi-male-dp-alt-mode-4k2k-black-2m) they state the cable uses DisplayPort Alt Mode but DDC doesn't work with it. I don't know what to make of this other than that it seems to be working now and maybe their implementation or claim of DisplayPort Alt Mode is wrong.

I hope somebody finds this useful.

Cheers

I also started having this problem yesterday all of a sudden. My setup is this:

• Macbook pro m1 max 14"
  • Monterey 12.2
  • LG 38**95C-W monitor (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38**95c-w-ultrawide-monitor)
  • Connected my macbook to the monitor via usb-c to usb-c cable (= thunderbolt connection on the monitor)
  • This cable also charged my macbook

This has worked without any problem since I got the laptop in november. Yesterday it stopped working.

I have tried a lot of things mentioned in this thread but nothing worked for me. I have as a quick fix replaced my thunderbolt cable connection with a DisplayPort (from the monitor) to usb-c cable (connected to my macbook). This works but it also means I need to connect the apple magsafe cable to charge the macbook.

Please apple, fix this!