Scrolling Issue in macOS Monterey (21A5522h) M1 Macbook Pro

Hello,

I have been facing an issue since I updated to the latest beta version. Scrolling randomly stops working until I left my fingers off the trackpad and then scroll again.

I'm not sure if this is a bug related to the latest version, or it is a hardware issue.

Any one having similar behavior?

• Similar problems here too - M1 MBAir (21A5522h). Never saw the issue prior to latest OS upgrade

• Ok, I'm a bit relieved knowing that it is a bug, not a hardware issue 😅. I hope they release an update soon to fix this, it is a really annoying bug.

• i have this same issue occur right after i installed to macOS monterey (oct 2021) bug has not fixed, almost purchased a new magic mouse. hope they fix it soon

Accepted Reply

Hello,

Just wanted to let you know that the issue seems to be fixed with the latest beta update (21A5534d)

• I have the same issue on macOs 12.0.1 (21A559). Every time the system goes to sleep it wakes with no scroll on magic mouse and I have to restart to recover it. Hope there will be a fix soon.

• I am on a 2020 M1 Macbook Air. My OS is Monterey 12.0.1. There are no current updates available. My Apple BT mouse stopped scrolling. I changed it out with another apple mouse from a different computer and at first it worked but now that mouse will not scroll. Both are scrolling with my desktop iMac. It also has the latests Monterey OS. The problem is not resolved.

• 12.1 has this issue with low power mode with my Macbook Pro 14". Two finger scrolling stops working quite frequently.

Replies

I have scrolling issues using the tracking, on Monterey 12.1 (21C52) on MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021).

There are random jumps when scrolling with 2 fingers using the trackpad, in different apps - Safari; XCode...

Posted a feedback using Feedback Assistant.

• I've disabled Low power mode and Optimise video streaming while on battery from System Preferences -> Battery and It works for me.

Add a Comment

Scrolling with mouse wheel stops working after sleep regularly, on Monterey 12.1 (21C52) on MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021). Turning mouse off/on again does not help, have to reboot.

Having this issue as well. Has anyone had any luck returning it due to this issue? I'm having this issue on my laptops main retina display as well.

Happening on 12.1

Magic Mouse 2, once resume from sleep, click, double click, movement works fine, scrolling not functioning at all

Disconnect/reconnect magic mouse does however resolve.

Real PIA though

I have the same problem on a 2021 MacBook Pro 14-inch (Monterey 12.1 - so doesn't look like it's fixed in 12.0.1).

Problem occurs for me when two finger scrolling. It randomly stops responding and keeping the fingers down and moving them around when it occurs does nothing. If I lift one finger then the mouse responds and if I lift two fingers and place down again scrolling continues to work (annoying when continuously scrolling down or up a page to have it stop randomly).

• For me this was caused by enabling low power mode. After disabling it the issue went away.

• Same issue here; same MacBook model and OS. The accepted answer that the bug was addressed should be removed.

Add a Comment

Same issue here with a 2021 Macbook Pro 14 inch (Monterey 12.0.1)

The issue only seems to occur when the trackpad isn't touched for a few minutes. Hope they fix it soon as it's really annoying having to reload pages constantly.

I just managed to fix this issue on my system.

Go to System Preferences > Trackpad > Scroll & Zoom. Unselect the check box 'Scroll direction: Natural'. Try to scroll in a website, scrolling now worked for me, albeit in the old, reversed way. Then re-select 'Scroll direction: Natural'.

This fixed it for me. Too early to say if it's just a temporary fix. I am running Monterey macOS 12.1 (21C52) on a 16" MacBook Pro, M1 Pro.

Same issue here with a 14” M1 Macbook Pro on 12.1. It is very annoying as I just got it and scrolling stops randomly and I have to lift my fingers and re-scroll on the trackpad.

Turning off inertia fixes it in a way, but its kinda worse to scroll without inertia.

I’m downloading 12.2 beta to see if its fixed there, if not I will take it to the apple store and ask to return it.

• Edit: followed what jgdavies@ mentioned and disabling low power mode fixed the issue for me. (the 12.2 beta did not fix the issue)

• Same issue here (McB 14, 12.2). Is this a hardware issue or software?

Add a Comment

I have the exact same problem and I'm on 12.1 (21C52). This issue is so annoying... I'm planning to go to my old MacBook Air 2015. There are no new updates... Is a brand new MacBook M1 Pro 2021

• Damn,  @jgdavies, you are genius!!! This solved my issue. Thanks a lot... That's why I'm so scared to touch any settings on my Mac... And now I remember that decided to enable low power mode a week ago and that's exactly when the issue started.

Add a Comment

Monterey's mouse sliding is also dead as a doornail.

MacOS now has two mouse scrolling performances, one in Chrome or any electron app, and one in native apps and systems. The former is silky with pleasant acceleration, while the latter is painfully damped. I don't know what happened in the development of the new system.

It seems that the scrolling inertia setting for native apps is locked in. For example, by turning off "inertia" in preferences, the inertia of native apps remains unchanged, only changed in Chrome.

I sincerely hope that this problem can be checked by Apple. Now macOS is not as cute to me as it used to be.

For a quick look at this problem, compare scrolling performances in vscode and in Mail app.

I use Magic Mouse 2, Monterey 12.1, MacBook Air with M1 chip.

Apple please, do something with Viber scrolling.

Hello,

I wrote to Viber and they sent me this version link: Mac: https://vb.me/b1f2ed

It solved my Viber scrolling issues on trackpad. Regards Zoltan

Problem persists still in Chrome and Safari using Monterery 12.1 (21C52) on MacBook Pro M1 (2020 version).

Scroll bars disappear, initially with otherwise intact scrolling functionality (- ie using two fingers on track-pad), then window freezes completely un-scrollable a few minutes later, albeit cursor retaining other track-pad driven functionality (clicking etc).

At this point, scrolling function (two fingers on track-pad) is restored by a restart, and scroll bars then reappear temporarily, only to disappear when fingers removed from track-pad. Placing of cursor over position of invisible scrollbar 'thumb' does not restore their visible presence, but application of two fingers to track-pad does do so. Positioning of cursor over 'thumb' will move then move both scrollbar thumb and scroll page (in old fashioned way). Further freezes occur periodically, when scrolling function becomes entirely refractory to two fingers on track pad again and further reboot necessary.

So this problem's at least four months old. Why is it being neglected?

Intermittent scrolling problems on new MBP 14" running 12.2.1. Scrolling gestures don't always register, very irritating. Some tap to click / selecting issues too - doesn't register, cursor jumps etc. Turning off inertia seems to fix the scrolling, but I want to use inertia!

It is not just the built in trackpad - I connected a Magic Trackpad (series 1) and the problem was the same. I do not have the issue when using that same trackpad on a Big Sur M1 Mac Mini.

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 14 that came with 12.1 and it still shows this issue. Scrolling just stops working, typically need to click the window to get it to scroll again, until it stops again. Rinse and repeat