Cannot add or verify my normal email address with iCloud custom domains

I have successfully set up iCloud custom domains with a different domain, so I do know how to do this and it's not an issue with my registrar or DNS records.

For one domain, I can do everything except add "John @ bergmayer.net" (spaces added just for here)--which is my actual primary personal email.

First, I got an error and couldn't even add it. Now, I can add it, but can't verify the address.

I thought it was because that address is already a contact method on my account, but removing that did not change anything.

I suspect it may be because that email address used to be my login for iCloud, before I switched my iCloud username to just be my iCloud email address.

*(This exact issue has caused problems for me before--for example, it hasn't been possible for me to subscribe to Hulu via in-app purchase because I once did, then cancelled, under the previous username, which seems to ***** whatever checks for a previous free trial or something. Naturally, both Hulu and Apple blame each other, which is depressing for the prospects of this new issue actually being resolved.)

Replies

Same issue. I added 2 adresses, but a third one remains non accepted. Not exactly the same error message mine is: Erreur {{APIError.EmailAdd.InUse}}. Then it seems Apple iCloud knows this address too. I spend some times with Apple Assistance today by phone, but even the level 2 expert did not find any solution. I will continue some investigation and update here if I find a solution.

Good luck on your side.

• I had that issue with another custom domain I tried to add. Seems at some point I created a new Apple ID using that email address so it wouldn't let me add it. I've requested that the ID is deleted so will try again once it's complete.

• I had same issue I also requested to deleting my Apple ID, 8 day past but nobody contacted me about my request but after 7 days now I can't log in with that Apple ID but can't add to a custom domain too. Do you still have that problem or after deleting process your problem fixed?

Add a Comment

I was successful adding 3 custom alias' with my domain but I can't use them. I see them in the account settings but they aren't in the drop down menu when I go to compose an email. Strangely I do see them on my iphone's mail app, not on the macbook however. So far this has definitely been a beta experience.

• I have a similar issue, created two email addresses on my domain, on the Mac I can send from either of them, but on my iPhone and iPad only one of them exists. Incoming emails land OK, but I cannot reply or create new emails from the main account as its not in the drop down and when I create new the from field is blank.

• This is the same here. I solved the issue by creating mailboxes and using rules that sort the incoming mail into mailboxes with the same name as the incoming mail. Then I added those inboxes to favorites to get them closer to the top.

That was for my client, my personal setup I of course use the smart mailboxes just to filter what I'm looking at.

Does anyone have any other fixes that have worked for them?

Add a Comment

Ok, tried to add 2 custom domains:

1. One is just for my private use. Added the domain, added an email address, just below my iCloud identity icon, all went fine without a glitch. Changed DNS settings at the domain registrar, completed the procedure. Email service works just fine. Even managed to add it into the stock MacOS Mail app via SMTP account (it duplicates the main iCloud mail account, with all the messages and folders structure, but nevertheless still uses MyCustomEmail @ MyCustomDomain. com address).

2. Another domain I tried to add was for family use. Added the domain. Then it offered to add an email under my iCloud identity icon. It didn't offer to add an email for any other family member. But ok, tried to add one for myself, for now, like for a private-use domain. When confirming the addition, it returned: "APIError.EmailAdd.InUse'. I tried to add 3 different names, all been in use before with the previous email hosting provider, same error: "APIError.EmailAdd.InUse". Then tried to add an email never used before, and it went through just fine. But I need to use the ones I used before, so I deleted the domain and tried to add it as for my private use. But the problem with adding emails remained.

Just my 10 cents for Apple to fix it sooner.

Been having this same issue, I brought up the error console to expose the actual error and looks like it's the same as during initial setup for me:

Error: You can't use an email address that contains explicit language.

Not sure how my email is considered explicit as it's similar to yours - firstname @ lastname.com.

Hoping this is fixed once it is out of Beta, guess it's back to Workspace for now!

Have exactly the same issue.

1. added an existing domain "domain.com"
  2. when presented "only you" or "family", I opted for "family"
  3. was presented with entering email adresses for family members, but opted to skip
  4. received confirmation-mail from apple with DNS specifications
  5. made necessary changes with my domain registrar
  6. received confirmation my domain "domain.com" is now linked to icloud+
  7. tried to add an existing email adres: existing @ domain.com -> this failed with same error as above
  8. tried to add a new email adres: new @ domain.com -> succesful

The strange thing is that emails send to "existing @ domain.com" do arrive in my icloud+ mailbox. However I canot send mail or add this email adres as an alias of my icloud+ email account.

• "The strange thing is that emails send to "existing @ domain.com" do arrive in my icloud+ mailbox."

This happened to me exactly as well. I have read somewhere that "existing @ domain.com" may be able to be added after 1 year of account deletion, and that seemed to not be the case... :(

Add a Comment

see also: https://www.idropnews.com/news/icloud-custom-domains-now-available-in-public-beta-heres-how-to-set-them-up/166313/

One of the biggest problems seems to be that you won’t be able to use a custom domain email address if it’s ever been used for another Apple ID. If your current Apple ID uses your custom email address, you can, of course, set this up with a custom domain, but if you’ve ever used it for another Apple ID — even one that’s been deleted — Apple won’t ever allow it to be used again. According to Apple Support, this is intentional, so it probably won’t change once the feature comes out of beta.

• I wish apple has a better documentation on this matter....

Add a Comment

I have the exact same issue, getting error message "There was a problem adding this email address. Try again later." and I do not get the email verification only for this specific address which is actually my apple id. Emails sent to this address bounce back.

If I understand well the above, changing the email of my Apple ID won't resolve this problem.

So do Apple plan to do anything about this?

• Normand17 did you ever get this resolved?

Add a Comment

I'm sure this is a dead end, hopefully not, but cloudflare is really driving me batshizz crazy with my desire to use a cloudflare domain, which was promoted via iCloud. If it's not a dkim error then its a spf record error or something else. Finally, after updating all dns records, multiple times, I finally get the error indicating that I need to provide a security code for an email address that is under the new domain that I'm attempting to add to icloud to host the email...really? Soooo....how would I obtain a security code for a domain that I do not yet have the ability to check the email, obviously. Driving me nuts. Any takers on this one?