How to Handle In-App Purchase vs Stripe for Physical Event Tickets that include digital access to the event.

Hello!

After reviewing the App Store Review Guidelines regarding payments, I am confused on how to proceed for our app which allow users to create their own events, and create tickets for those events (think Eventbright).

Currently, we use Stripe - Stripe handles identity verification and payouts as users pay the event coordinator directly for their event ticket.

Ideally, if a user can prove they have an event ticket, they become subscribed to the event's content feed as part of their ticket (digital content).

So, when I look at the following guidelines:

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase. Apps may not use their own mechanisms to unlock content or functionality, such as license keys, augmented reality markers, QR codes, etc. Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase.

3.1.3(e) Goods and Services Outside of the App: If your app enables people to purchase physical goods or services that will be consumed outside of the app, you must use purchase methods other than in-app purchase to collect those payments, such as Apple Pay or traditional credit card entry.

These seem to be in conflict - I am not allowed to use In-App purchases for a physical good (the event ticket) and I am not allowed to use Stripe for the digital good (the event ticket) because the event ticket is both a physical and a virtual good?

• How should we think about handling this conflict? Charging the users twice using two different payment methods seems untenable - splitting the physical from the virtual good when they are unsplittable items (you can't gain virtual access without the physical ticket.)

• Further, Stripe handles the payment from the event attendee -> event host. In-App payments don't seem to support that kind of robust multi-party payment infrastructure?

Ultimately, I just want to make the consumer experience as best as can possibly be, and to follow app store guidelines, but am left scratching my head.

We have encountered this exact issue. How did you proceed?

How to Handle In-App Purchase vs Stripe for Physical Event Tickets that include digital access to the event.

Q