Change the default simulator on Xcode 12.5

It's a small thing, but every time I open my current Xcode project the default iOS device to run my app on is my phone. Is there a way to change it to one of the simulators? i.e. iPhone Pro 11?

Accepted Reply

I agree; it gets annoying to do the same thing over and over again. Try going Product/Destination/Choose Destination menu and selecting the device you'd like to be your default.

• That was so stupidly simple that I'm embarrassed. But thank you.

• Actually it doesn't stick Keeps going back to phone

• I notice this too. It keep reverting back to the ipod touch.

Replies

I agree; it gets annoying to do the same thing over and over again. Try going Product/Destination/Choose Destination menu and selecting the device you'd like to be your default.

• That was so stupidly simple that I'm embarrassed. But thank you.

• Actually it doesn't stick Keeps going back to phone

• I notice this too. It keep reverting back to the ipod touch.

Not an option to select as default, but you can remove all devices you don't need from the list by going to:

Select device > Add additional devices, and uncheck 'Show as run destination'. As I'm a beginner and only focussing on learning stuff I'm simply only using the iPhone 12 mini so it will be selected as default when starting a new project.

Here is the solution on XCode Version 14.3.1. Go to Product->Destination->Manage Run Destinations... From this page you can customise 'Show run destination' section. Just change the ones you don't want to simulate at as 'never' and change the preferable one as 'always'. For your case, under the device section find your phone (it is already selected), change Show run destination as never and go to simulators find your desirable model and change its show run destination as always.

I think if you need only one device — there will be better to delete other devices at Product->Destination->Manage Run Destinations.