iOS 15 beta causing problems with personal hotspot

I updated my iPhone 11 Pro to iOS 15 beta and I think it is causing problems with my personal hotspot.

I live in a rural area with almost no options for decent, home WiFi; my options are DSL and satelite. For the last 8-9 months, I've used my iPhone's hotspot for gaming, streaming, and pretty much everything else. I've had no issues and it has saved me a ton of money!

However, the day I updated my phone to iOS 15 beta, any non-Apple device I connect my hotspot to will not load anything... For example, my PlayStation 5 is able to download software updates and game updates with pretty quick speeds when connected to my hotspot, but it will not allow me to play any games online or pull up any streaming services. It says the connection is too weak. The same thing applies to my Roku that's plugged into my TV in the bedroom. Both of these worked really well before updating.

When I connect my iPad to my hotspot, everything loads incredibly fast.

I've contacted my phone service provider and they've assured me that my cell service is not the issue.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anyway to fix it?

Thank you!

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of kyleanthony Down vote post of kyleanthony
30k views
  • Anyone find a fix to this....downloaded iOS 15 with the release (9-21-2021) and now my Surface won't connect to the hotspot.....

• I'm having the same issue with a surface. Won't connect to iphone that has been updated to ios 15, but will connect to iphone that is still running ios 14.8. I've tested multiple phones with the same result. pre ios 15 works and ios 15 does not. I've tried all the standard trouble shooting I've seen posted with no luck. If anyone has a fix, I would love to hear it.

• I have the same problem 😳 Any news about a solution?

Replies

I am having the exact same issue and also live in a rural area where high-speed internet from major carriers is unavailable. Thus, I rely heavily on my hotspot. I can’t even revert to iOS 14 because I just received a “new” iPhone X from Apple (my previous one was defective) which came pre-installed with iOS 15. My Roku TV worked beautifully when connected to my hotspot on iOS 14. It now technically connects, but nothing will load on my Roku TV once connected. This is an incredibly frustrating issue.

To the last poster. Issue is resolved. Just UPDATE your iPhone to the latest OS version in GENERAL SETTINGS

• I agree with the above... it does seem to now (FINALLY) be fixed!

• I’m running iOS 15.1 right now. Sounds like there’s a solution with iOS 15.2? Really hoping so! I’ll drive to town to get public Wi-Fi and install 15.2.

• Update: I installed iOS 15.2 and I’m still having the same issue. My Roku TV technically connects to my hotspot, but the internet connection is so weak that I can’t stream Hulu (despite my Roku TV showing “excellent” signal strength from the hotspot). I can sometimes get SD videos to play on YouTube, but HD just doesn’t stream. Everything worked perfectly with iOS 14. So… something still needs to be fixed. My sister brought her MacBook over and it connects fine to my hotspot for streaming.

I’ve spent half the day google to try find solutions, resetting networks trying to find IP DNS ROUTER CODES ETC

So glad I came across this forum. Happy, but obviously not happy, others are ****** at Apple too. I’ve got an ancient ipad that work was throwing out and still does did the zoom job 6 years later. I hotspotted my online classes all through the lockdowns in Melbourne over last two years. All I can say is thank goodness I didn’t update way back then. I would have suffered terribly not having screen to outside world. Maybe we should tackle Apple with “it’s an mental health issue and affordability issue” Not many of us can afford to buy brand new anything and tbh I think we should be using electronics until they are on their last legs - such a waste. Also surprised an eco tech warrior hasn’t made app or hack to fix this or is that illegal? Or am I really bad at finding this info?? anyone started a petition yet?

Update 15.3.1 and my hotspot still not working. Went to Apple service today and they were so surprised about the situation, they wanted me to leave my phone for 2 weeks for a freaking issue with hotspot? This is so insane and I’m fuming! Apple do something!!!!

• Thnx for sharing xmistiquex

see my list from a while back. It was resolved at version 15.2 and now it also doesn’t work for me.

only way is via USB

so looks like they fixed it in 15.2 and broke it again in 15.3+

and they act like they don’t know.

pricks

Add a Comment

nnnn

I'm having exactly the same problems with Rel 15.4.1. My devices that won’t connect anymore are TiVo Romaio (I have to use my sister’s old iPhone to connect for the latest guide info) and my TiVo Stream 4K. So far all the apps on the TiVo Stream 4K are connecting except Netflix and YouTube. I can Chromecast for YouTube from my iPad but not for Netflix. When I called Apple, they just suggested doing a network reset through Settings/General but that didn’t help. I never called back.

Updated my iPhone XR to iOS 15.5 and there’s no way I can get my old iPad 4 connected to the hotspot. I tried everything. I thought this problem was fixed.

• Try to connect by bluetooth. This worked for me with an iPad 2. Connection speed should be worse but at least you have a connection.

• Chiming back in to say I’m now running iOS 15.6 & still have the issue. Can’t believe Apple hasn’t rolled out a fix by now. I’ve contacted support multiple times & my case was referred to the engineering department after MANY hours with support. I’ve documented everything so well that they can’t deny there is an issue, but never heard back with an explanation or solution. I eventually gave up as they kept running me in circles. Seems like they don’t want to admit it is a problem with iOS 15.

Add a Comment