USB hub failing under Monterey

Anyone seeing trouble with external USB hubs after installing the Monterey developer beta?

I have an ikling FX-1940E hub that I've been using with my M1 MacBook Air. Everything worked fine under Big Sur, and still does on another machine still running Big Sur, but I can't connect a trackball or keyboard via the hub's USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports to the Air since installing Monterey. The hub's VGA port still works on Monterey; I haven't been able to test the other ports yet. Also, a different hub (with fewer ports, so it can't simply replace the ikling) does work.

I've reported the issue to Apple using the feedback assistant. Any suggestions for anything else I can do at my end?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of eurobubba Down vote post of eurobubba
96k views
  • Hi,

After upgrade to Monterey, latest public beta (21A5506j), PD over usb-c from my monitor (Philips 346P1CRH/00) doesn't work as well.

Apple please help!

• Looks like most comments here are with MacBook and the M1. I have a been running a duel monitor set up with my MacBook Pro (intel) for years without issue on the MacOS Beta program. It wasn't until I just upgraded to release 8 that the monitors are no longer detected. I have not been able to find a workaround so any help would be appreciated.

• PD (Power Delivery) over USB-C also stopped working on my MBP 2018 after updating to Monterey (12.0.1). I use a Philips 346P1CRH. Everything was working flawlessly with Big Sur.

Replies

Looks like we have to wait for Apple to fix it, if they ever do. I made the mistake of not backing up my mac before updating so if they do not fix it, I'll have to wipe my MacBook to downgrade to Big Sur.

SAME HERE with the much more expensive apple USB to USBC adapter. APPLE get your act together!!!

me too, please fix it

I have just upgraded my macbook pro (2015 year model 13'') OS to monterey and have the same problem, it does not open my flash drive when I plug it in.

Solution: When I plug usb flash drive in and turn macbook off and then turn it on, it opens it as it should be. Restarting does not work the same way, only shutting down so far.

I think I've found a solution for now with my MBP M1 2020. After the Monterey upgrade, my 7 in 1 USB-C Hub by WKD stopped all USB connectivity (mouse, keyboard and external storage etc)

However I had a small USB-C to HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type C adapter with USB 3.0 and charging port I was using on my iPad Pro. I plugged this into one of the USB-C ports on my MBP, used a USB C to USB male adapter for (Acessorz _ on Amazon UK) to connect my 7 in 1 USB-C Hub into and all the USB ports are back working again.

PS. The charging port is also working too.

I'll try and give the descriptions below of what I'm using.

7 in 1 USB Hub 7 in 1 Premium USB-C Hub by WKD Online - Aluminium Space Grey adapter with 4K HDMI and USB-C 3.1 Port - 1 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 OTG SD Micro Card Reader - Apple MacBook Pro Samsung Dell Compatible

USB C to USB male adapter USB C to USB Male Adapter, Acessorz [2-Pack] Mini Hi-speed USB Female (Type-C) to USB 2.0 Male (Type-A) Fast Charging & Data Sync OTG Adapter Connector Converter - Pack of 2 (Black)

my small USB C To HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type used for my iPad Pro ElecMoga USB C to HDMI Adapter 4K, Multiport Type C Adaptor with USB 3.0 + USB C Charging Port Digital Converter USB C Hub Compatible With Macbook Pro, Google Chromebook, HP, Samsung S8/S9, And More

I Hope this helps someone out, I've been at this for hours and been totally stuck.

Having trouble with external Samsung monitor. It works but every time the Mac sleeps, it won't wake up again. Sometimes, it shows a very ugly glitch on login screen and another times it keeps turning on and off the monitor. Generally I can login if I plug out and in again or restarting macOS.

Same problem on my MacBook Pro M1; macOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559). USB Hub stops working.

same here - usb-c hub from green cell is not working properly (can't read sd card / disks connected to usb-b) on Macbook Air M1 after updating to Monterey - worked fine before the update

Experiencing the same problem after upgrading to Monterey, the USB hubs ports sometimes just stop working, and the connected devices start to turn on/off by themselves like crazy (seems to be a power delivery issue). Sometimes restarting the OS solves the problem (temporarily), sometimes it doesn't.

Herkese merhaba,

I’m using macOS Monterey 12.0.1 with Apple Silicon M1 iMac 24".

I bought Hama USB-C Hub, Multiport, 5 Ports, 2 x USB-A, USB-C, HDMI™, LAN/Ethernet (GTIN: 4047443436818) from Turkey at last month. As I read on both technical specifications and user manual, the USB-C port on device is bi- directional; it both supports PD and data transfer.

I tested this functionality both Windows 10 & 11 and macOS with M1 (Apple Silicon) chip. On Windows , the port works bi-directional perfectly. However, Apple Silicon device not support data transfer from port, supports only power delivery. If I connect a USB-C device from mac port directly, it runs perfectly.

I found this solution: " realized that I attached the hub to USB & ThunderBolt 4 port. Due to my M1 iMac cannot charged with PD, USB controller closes this port I think. After connecting the hub to USB-C 3.2 port, USB-C port on the hub was started working. This is not an issue, it causes from misunderstanding how the iMac ports behave."

• Update: After few days, USB-C port on Hub disabled again. Changing the port of Hub a few days apart is the the only solution right now.

• Thank you for this, I was frustrated to find out I had ONLY thunderbolt 4 ports on my laptop but trying different ports got my Anker 577 hub to work, for some reason it only works in 1 out of the 3 ports (by 'works' I mean usb A connected devices can be used).

The one next to the SDXC and HDMI slot on the new M1 is the only one that works for me.

Add a Comment

I have the same problem. Updated Macbook Air M1 yesterday to Monterey 12.0.1 and realised that USB on my hub is not working anymore. Can't deploy apps to devices. Android devices just charging, iPhone even is not charging. Hey, Siri. How to fix this issue?

Same issue for M1 device after upgrade to Monterrey. VGA port works properly, however, USB ports don't work despite they are receiving power.

Seeing the same issues with an iKling FX-1818 USB-C hub and a M1 MacBook Pro 13". PD and HDMI work (though I've had intermittent HDMI issues), but the USB3 ports and the ethernet interface are not working with Monterey 12.0.1.

• Strangely, the USB3 port works with my Logitech Brio webcam, but not with my HHKB or my Jabra headset. Ethernet spontaneously started working this week.

Add a Comment

Hello, I have the same problem. I just about to install Mac OS Monterrey and my USB-C only works to charge the Macbook Pro M1, but the usb cameras, hd and sd cards connected to the hub doesn´t work.

Please Apple, fix this, I need to use my devices on my job.

Thank you.

Same problem here on M1 Macbook Air 2020. I have a perfectly good Greencell AK50 USB Hub which was working on Big Sur, Is working flawlessly with other devices and does not work at all after Monterey update.

This is a huge issue as this computer is used for work, and there is no option to connect a mouse, keyboard, pendrive, SD Card or HDMI cable. I will not accept a solution of "go buy a new USB Hub". The software basically broke the functionality which was already there... I would expect USB to work in a 1000$ laptop...

Apple, please fix.