How would I go about building AR effects similar to the AR Spaces features in Clips?

Hello!

I really want to make these immersive AR experiences with engaging graphics like the new AR Spaces feature in the Clips app. Is RealityKit the way to go for this? Or does it require some really lower level understanding and use of API’s like ARKit with Metal?

Also, with RealityKit’s scene understanding, we can map a mesh of the scene the LIDAR device can see but I was wondering how would I switch that out with a custom mesh design like in the Clips app as well.

Thank you!

Replies

I would look at RealityKit’s new post processing API. This will allow you to create effects that are applied to the entire screen, similar to the effects in Clips. You will likely need to write your own custom effects using Metal, but the API makes it easy to implement shader code without a lot of setup. Please see the ‘Explore advanced rendering with RealityKit 2’ for more details on the API.

• Thank you for the response. As someone new to graphics, how do you suggest I get started with Metal. Are there any recommendations for how to use Metal with RealityKit or in an AR perspective? Thank you!

Add a Comment