Is Thread Networking Supported in HomeKit Matter preview?

I want to build my own Thread based accessory for use in my home. Does the HomeKit SDK support this hardware yet? I thought Matter is based on Thread.

Replies

HomeKit already supports Thread based devices that work with the HAP protocol in iOS 14.

Matter works on top of Thread or Wifi (with some BLE for discovery…) and if I see this correctly, the examples they provide are based on Matter with Thread. While Matter devices will appear in HomeKit, they said in the session that you can control Matter directly without HomeKit, too. You have to install a profile for the Matter support, as it's a "Developer Preview", which kinda means it's even more beta than the beta 😉 Also everything "Matter" is called "CHIP" in the current build, because that's the "old" name.

• Gernot, I can't find where to download the profile to enable the "Developer Preview"

Add a Comment

I compiled and installed the sample accessory from connectedhomeip (nRF52840 board, Bluetooth & Thread). Unfortunately after putting the accessory into pairing mode, the Home app in iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 does not see the Matter accessory.

I have two HomePod mini but with 14.6 OS. Other accessory center are iPad Air 2 witch iPadOS 15 and Apple TV HD witch tvOS 15.

The accessory broadcasts correctly over Bluetooth and emits a pairing code over NFC, but iOS says the NFC code has no data.

Does the first beta not support Matter yet?

Now I use CHIP iOS Tool App, and comissioned sample accessory, but work onluy via Bluetooth.

This is interesting because the official Bluetooth in Matter is only supposed to use for pairing, but not for data and commands transmision.

However, the sample accessory and the test application for iOS from the official repo, communicates and cend command (on/off/toggle light) over Bluetooth what can be seen from the logs and disabled Thread network in the accessory.

I was just curious if the chip you use or a chip you have used is 24AA256UID