How to install macOS 12 in Parallels VM w/o enrolling release macOS install?

Hello!
I would like to start testing macOS 12, but I don’t want this to affect my internal installation (I do not have a spare Mac, my other working softwares will not support macOS 12 until at least .2 release).
I therefore thought to use Parallels for Mac (which I already own) to create a VM of it. Problem is: I also would like my internal macOS not to be flagged as beta tester as I don’t want system update to be cluttered with release and beta software.
What do you think is the best option? My own brainstorming suggested to create a VM with Big Sur release, then enrol that install for beta updates and then upgrade the VM directly.
Does it sound…ehm…sane?
Thank you very much

Accepted Reply

Sounds sane to me.

Like you I don't have a spare Mac so have installed the new MacOS Monterey as a VM in Parallels. I did as you suggested by creating a new VM with the release version of Big Sur and then enrolling that into the Beta programme and then updating to MacOS Monterey.

• Just managed to install Big Sur. Trying to understand why the resolution of the VM is locked to 1024x768 (I am on a 2016 MacBook Pro). Is there some settings in the VM that I should be aware of? Thanks

Add a Comment

Replies

Sounds sane to me.

Like you I don't have a spare Mac so have installed the new MacOS Monterey as a VM in Parallels. I did as you suggested by creating a new VM with the release version of Big Sur and then enrolling that into the Beta programme and then updating to MacOS Monterey.

• Just managed to install Big Sur. Trying to understand why the resolution of the VM is locked to 1024x768 (I am on a 2016 MacBook Pro). Is there some settings in the VM that I should be aware of? Thanks

Add a Comment

You can use a tool called gibMacOS that can download the macOS 12 installer from Apple's Server without the need to enroll your system. Just install the "InstallAssistant.pkg" after download and then the macOS 12 Installer app bundle will be in your Applications directory.

It's the exact same app bundle that the Software updater would download.