IAP Referral Program: Give X% Off IAP, Get Reward -- Bad?

I see this marketing program all the time on e-commerce websites, but not so much in apps.

In my case, we sell a $5 app with an additional premium upgrade IAP. We're trying to promote referrals to the premium upgrade IAP.

Here's how I think it would work:
  • customer A signs up to IAP referral program inside app

• customer A gets sharable code/url

• customer A sends code to customer B

• customer B downloads app, purchases IAP using code

• customer A receives reward

1) Even though this program doesn't incentivize the main download of the app--but rather just the in-app purchase-- would it still violate Apple's rules?

2) Is it only a problem because the referral program ORIGINATED within the app? In other words, if we launched this program exclusively on our website, would Apple take issue with it?

Thanks

@rthomas You could consider using a third-party affiliate platform like GoMarketMe to launch a such referral program. These platforms offer robust tools for tracking and managing affiliate links, which could be a perfect fit for your needs.

In your case, you'd set up a Public Campaign and share the link so any of your users can join your program and start earning from every IAP and subscription they generate. I believe they also provide API access if you're looking to build a custom UI directly within your app.

I came across the same issue so have created a SaaS solution, Insert Affiliate, which is now live and we are inviting up to 10 early users to our exclusive private beta!

Here you’ll be able to:

Drive sales for your in-app purchases with your new affiliate program.

• Increase your brand exposure through your affiliates without any risky upfront costs.

• Nurture trust with your affiliates by operating with complete transparency.

• We are offering an early bird pricing discount until the 30th November for these first 10 users.

Due to the restrictions of the forums I'm unable to post a walkthrough but it can be found at our website - https://insertaffiliate.com

IAP Referral Program: Give X% Off IAP, Get Reward -- Bad?

Q