Unable to notarise: Unable to find requested file(s): metadata.xml (1057)

Hi.
In the latest days I'm unable to notarize some components (dmgs, apps, etc) because the upload of those components is failing with the error: Unable to find requested file(s): metadata.xml (1057)
Sometimes it is necessary to try 2-4 times to be able to upload the components. I'm using Xcode 11.3.1 and Xcode 12.2.
The notarisation was working ok with no issues previously.
Have someone face a similar issue?
Thanks

Replies

I'm using Xcode 11.3.1 and Xcode 12.2.

So, just to clarify, this means you’re notarising from the Xcode Organizer, right?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"
I just got this by running:
Code Block
xcrun altool --notarize-app ...

I did a retry everything was fine.

Here is a debug log from the failed attempt (I don't see anything obvious): https://gist.github.com/tougher/dc6ef7083f70b30d3c896a7304b742e6
I am getting this error this morning actually.

I just started getting this error today, as well, and found this thread when searching for the error message. I am notarizing via an automated scripted build, so not using the Xcode GUI, but "xcrun altool --notarize-app". It has been working well for many months, but today it returns "Unable to find requested file(s): metadata.xml (1057)"
I'm receiving this today while running the command "sudo xcrun altool --upload-app ..." from a script, I have tried dozens of times now and unfortunately it won't go through at all. I have no idea what this missing file is or how to remedy it.
I just tried a quick notarisation test — from both Xcode and using altool — and didn’t see anything untoward. Are you still having this problem?

Share and Enjoy

I see the same failure as the original poster on Catalina (10.15.7) but retrying the same command and file on Big Sur (11.1) succeeds.
I also am seeing this same error - also on Catalina (but I don't have access to a Big Sur build machine to test on)

Also using xcrun altool --notarize-app

I also am seeing this same error - also on Catalina

I tried this here in my office and didn’t encounter any problems. Specifically, I’m on 10.15.7 running the altool from Xcode 12.0.

I can see two obvious possibilities here:
  • You’re using a different version of altool than me. What version are you using?

• For… well… reasons… I authenticate with the notary service using an API key (that is, using the --apiIssuer and --apiKey arguments). It’s possible that this is masking the problem.

Or it could be something else completely different )-:

Share and Enjoy

Also started receiving this error this morning - been fine up until now - now i cannot seem to notarize

OSX 10.15.7 using the command line
Some additional information from my setup:

altool is from Xcode 12 as well. I do not authenticate with the notary using an api key.

It ended up succeeding after 4 tries - and then it failed again on the 5th and succeeded in the 6th. So - it seems to be random when it occurs.

Most of the times, it failed to find metadata.xml - but one of the times it failed to find the zip file I was notarizing.

It doesn’t appear to be a network issue - as (in the log) it looks like it succeeded:
Code Block
[2021-04-12 21:07:45 MDT] <main> INFO: Package upload progress: 100.00% completed
[2021-04-12 21:07:45 MDT] <main> INFO:     File: metadata.xml 541/541, 100.00% completed
[2021-04-12 21:07:45 MDT] <main> INFO:     File: binaries-macOS.zip 25085345/25085345, 100.00% completed
[2021-04-12 21:07:45 MDT] <main> INFO: Waiting on reservation commit(s) to finish.
[2021-04-12 21:07:45 MDT] <pool-9-thread-1> INFO: All reservation commit(s) finished.

Later in this same log is where it claims it cannot find binaries-macOS.zip (the file I was trying to notarize):
Code Block
[2021-04-12 21:07:46 MDT] <main> DBG-X: Apple's web service operation return value:
[2021-04-12 21:07:46 MDT] <main> DBG-X:  parameter Errors = [Unable to find requested file(s): binaries-macOS.zip (1057)]

There is a possibility this might be device-related - I have two build servers, and two of the six failures happened on one of the servers, and the two successes happened on the other server. Unfortunately, I don’t have logs from the first two failures to see which build server they were on. I rebuilt the build server that failed twice - but haven’t had a chance to try submitting again using it. This also might be a red herring - since it appears the files were fully sent to the notarization service...so I can’t imagine how it would be device-related.
We've been seeing this happen in our build scripts too, starting today. Something seems to go wrong at the API side, fairly frequently.
Same here. Notarizing using altool.

It first complained it couldn't find metadata.xml. Now it's complaining it's not finding the .dmg, which is the file I'm trying to notarize. Same script has worked for months with no problems. Retrying is not helping.

I'm running altool on Big Sur 11.2.3 (Intel and M1, same results).

Any ideas?
We are having the same issue in our notarization script using altool, on 10.14.3.
This happens randomly about once in ten

It’s clear that various folks are having various issues here, but it’s not clear whether these are related. I have a quick diagnostic test that I’d like folks to try: When you get into a situation where things are failing, please retry with a different bundle ID. That is, does supplying a different value for --primary-bundle-id clear the problem?

IMPORTANT The notary service doesn’t actually require this bundle ID be related to the software that you’re notarising, so you can use any reasonable bundle ID.

The reason why this might help is that altool uses the bundle ID as a local storage key and it’s possible that something is not getting cleaned up correctly.

If that doesn’t help then my recommendation is that you file a bug with the following:
  • The verbose output from the request (get this by supplying the --verbose flag).

• The result from xcrun swinfo --version.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy