Corespotlightd Using Significant CPU In 11.2.2 (20D80)

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing a significant CPU drain from Spotlight (specifically corespotlightd) in macOS 11.2.2.

Since updating to macOS 11.2.2 any time that I access spotlight using Command + Space Bar I immediately experience a system wide lag. Viewing this in Activity Monitor I see a %CPU spike of corespotlightd in the realm of 200-400%. that last for anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds.

I have sent this in through Feedback Assistant, but no other reports seem to have been linked to the radar.

I have attempted a few different fixes as well:
  • Terminal killall corespotlightd resolves the issue momentarily, but does not fix long term

• Restarting computer does nothing to solve

• Re-indexing spotlight does not solve

• I have also disabled more advanced search functions (Bookmarks and History, Contacts, Events and Reminders, Fonts, Mail & Messages, Music, Siri Suggestions, and Movies are all disabled) - This did not fix the issue.

• I have also disabled search for external hard drives which also did not solve the issue.

Open to any other suggestions for fixes, or if anyone else has a similar issue.

Mac mini, 2018 (2020 release), 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4. External GPU Radeon RX 570 4 GB.
  • See my reply below

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

[UPDATE]

So after significant troubleshooting including:
  • Reindex via terminal

• PRAM/NVRAM reset

• SMC reset

• Hardware test

• Confirming that the issue occurs in safe boot

• Reinstall macOS Big Sur via Recovery Mode

I finally gave up and fixed with the following:
  • Boot into Recovery Mode

• Wipe the SSD via Disk Utility

• Reinstall macOS Big Sur through Recovery Mode

• Confirm the issue doesn't occur on a clean install (it didn't - issue was fixed)

• Restore ONLY apps and documents with Migration Assistant

Issue now resolved.
  • (deleted, posted as answer for better formatting)

• Although I'm thankful for your post about how you fixed it, I consider that being completely defeated, rather than fixing it. I couldn't possibly handle the disruption of removing the vast majority of apps and settings.

Add a Comment

Replies

I am not an expert, but I think that any command that starts "sudo rm -rf" should be treated with extreme respect/caution. That is

"sudo" = superuser do

"rm" = delete

"-r" = recursively (in the directory)

"-f" = without warning

So perhaps google "sudo rm -rf" before typing it in the terminal.