ARView example code failing to compile on an M1 Mac & Xcode 12.4?

Hello,

I recently downloaded the same from Creating a Game with SceneUnderstanding, and the out-of-the-box compilation failed, with what appears to be some structural misses in RealityKit.

This is with Xcode 12.4 (12D4e) - and a number of compilation complaints appear to be Objective-C elements not being correctly bridged, or otherwise unavailable to the compiler.

Missing:
  • ARView.RenderOptions

• .session within an ARView instance

• SceneUnderstanding from within ARView.Environment

• .showSceneUnderstanding from ARView.DebugOptions

and a few others. I tried changing the deployment target from iOS 14.0 to iOS 14.4, clean build and rebuild, and wiping out DerivedData just to take a stab at things, but to no avail.

Is there something I can/should update to get the scene understanding elements back available from the ARView class?

Accepted Reply

I found a hint to the answer on twitter - in case someone else comes looking here:

You have to be targeting a device for even compilation to work correctly. Once I connected an iPad and targeted it directly, there wasn't an issue with the compilation. Would be awfully nice to have this as a note/warning in the sample code though

Replies

For what it's worth, I've also submitted this as feedback with a relevant screenshot showing the compiler output, as FB9013606
I found a hint to the answer on twitter - in case someone else comes looking here:

You have to be targeting a device for even compilation to work correctly. Once I connected an iPad and targeted it directly, there wasn't an issue with the compilation. Would be awfully nice to have this as a note/warning in the sample code though