Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

I found a solution for QuadHD monitor and M1 Mac and posted on Macrumors forum.

Search "Solution. QuadHD monitor with HiDPI and Mac Mini M1" in Google.

Briefly, you need to buy 4K HDMI EDID emulator (8 USD), USB-C to DisplayPort or HDMI converter (8-12 USD) and enable Mirror Displays option in macOS. Now you'll see scaled HiDPI resolutions.

I'm quite upset about this actually. Just bought a M1 mini and planned on using my UPerfect (strange brand name, great screen) 4k portable monitor with it. I was excited since the HiDPi worked fine with the 2013 MBP I'm replacing. Then I connected it to the mini and... no options as others have reported. Surely someone from Apple has heard about this and if they are reading this, I regret buying the M1 mini, I should have bought an intel version... How can you say the M1 is superior when it cannot even be used to write an email? Apple used to be the reference in how UI is easy on the eye. This is the exact opposite. I guess I have to waste money on a 1080p monitor now... forget about 4k. Thanks for the half-baked product Apple...

• Yeah, don't do it. You'll be even more disappointed. I've got 2k and even blurry is much better than my 1080p one that I connected via HDMI cable. It was horrible.

But to not mislead you or anything, if you can find from a friend a 1080p and test it yourself, it would be best before you go and spend more money on basically no solution.

Add a Comment

4 months and still no fix. Super disappointing... I just want to use my 2k monitor!

• It is not the bug. Apple make this on purpose and there will be no fix. You have to buy 4k monitor

Add a Comment

How is this still unfixed Apple? It is already over eight months from M1 release!

I have BenQ 1440p display, the text is just too fuzzy, tried maximum resolution too. Even SwitchResX doesn't work

Same problem here on 2K 60HZ display. Please fix it ASAP.

1 year and still no fix. Super disappointing...

**** apple for this shit. so frustrating

This problem still exists! Finally got my M1 Mac last week, two 1080p monitors that worked with my old Lenovo Thinkpad, trying to connect to them via dock gives a weird blurry second monitor and turns off the first one. Completely devastating, to have such an expensive computer fail at such a simple task, a task the old 2015 Macbook Pro could still do.

And after three months of an open case on Apple Support, I called them just to hear that I should buy another monitor. To fix something that is clearly a software issue.

It's hard to work with Apple devices that way...

• wow I'm very disappointed...

Add a Comment

Same issue here. I'm very disappointed with apple. I was happy with my QHD display and any other machine other than m1. are there any developers to solve this kind of showstopper issue right now? at least apple shoud answer and let us know the plan! what a shame. it's been a year. don't waste your time to add minor cookie functions. FIX THIS ISSUE FIRST!!!

I got the same problem as you guys and I arrived at the following conclusion: if Apple won't fix this with macOS Monterey I will sell my M1 Mac and switch back to PC. Not liking Windows but I just had enough!

** +1** LG 27UL850 4K Monitor. There are no problems when connecting USB-C. When connected via the hub and HDMI or DP - there is no resolution of 2560x1440 (HIDPI). I'm sad with the new Air M1.

I experience the same problems since November 2020. MacOS sucks at HiDPI integration and scaling for external displays. In windows 10 or Linux my 24” QHD displays are razor sharp! This is 8 year old hardware and the new QHD monitors look amazing.. on Mac Mini M1 it just sucks.. blurry/fuzzy. I get headaches from it..

I sincerely hope apple will fix this mess with external displays. There is no reason not to enable. HiDPI on QHD monitors, it is not 2005 anymore and the GPU’s are more than capable without any performance hit.

I also tried the 4K Edid emulator solution as discussed on macrumors; this unfortunately is not. A full solution

Same here. Shame on apple. I do believe - they won't fix it