How do I create GeoTracking AR apps if I am not in the US

Hi,

I have multiple idea for a GeoTracking AR apps using ARGeoTrackingConfiguration, but noticed the list of cities are all in the US. My personal hope was that all cities with 3D data would support this sooner or later, but this has not happened for me yet.

Is there any way for testing/faking this to know what the user will experience?

How fast is it expanding, so would it be worth waiting till it's available in my areas (Düsseldorf, Germany), too?

All the best
Christoph
Hi ChristophV,

I've had the same issue since I am based in Berlin, Germany.

You can for the moment use ARKit Replay Data (which also supports geo tracking).
In Xcode go to »Edit Scheme« and there in the Options Panel you have the option to select a replay .mov file.

Replay Data can for example be recorded with Reality Composer. You might wanna ask someone in the US to record it for you and send it over.

It's not fully ideal but at least I've been able to implement it this way.
Hi Arthur,

thank you so much for your response. This does not sound fun, but it's an option. I am a bit disappointed that this technology does not grow faster. To me it's the first time AR could become useful and to be honest Apple should find a way so it works anywhere, the minimum should have been that it works in any City that has been captured in 3D.

Apple should find a new approach here, if they really want to push AR. Even the simplest AR that already is possible on other platforms like AR Navigation is not possible with ARKit yet – I personally think AR out in the real world like pointing with your camera at a church with a Wikipedia app was the first AR experience we had and since then we are supposed to play on a square table instead of continuing with real things – sorry I know RealityKit is amazing, but I am a bit frustrated not being able to implement my app ideas for people here.

All the best
Christoph
Hi Christoph,

Sorry for jumping onto this thread so late! You're right, currently we only support the cities listed in the documentation:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/argeotrackingconfiguration
We'll update this website as more locations become available.
I understand your frustration, it helps a lot to understand where developers would like to create LocationAnchor experiences, so thanks for sharing your location.
How do I create GeoTracking AR apps if I am not in the US

Q