Codeless kext still requiring a reboot, contradicting Apple's documentation?

On Apple's documentation page Installing a Custom Kernel Extension, which has been updated to include information for macOS 11, it includes the following:

For codeless kexts, the system asks the user for permission to install the kext, but doesn’t reboot the user’s system.

My company has been using a codeless kext for many years, and installing it on Big Sur requires the user to reboot, contradicting this claim.

Is it possible we're building our codeless kext incorrectly? (The source code for the kext is literally an empty file, though the resulting kext does contain an executable under Contents/MacOS.) Or is this documentation page simply wrong?

Accepted Reply

I have answered my own question: I am building codeless kexts wrong! There should not be any executable file, and the Xcode project should contain no source files at all, even empty ones. Once I built it correctly then there was no reboot requirement in Big Sur.

Replies

I have answered my own question: I am building codeless kexts wrong! There should not be any executable file, and the Xcode project should contain no source files at all, even empty ones. Once I built it correctly then there was no reboot requirement in Big Sur.