Big Sur kext loading all or nothing policy?

Hi there!

I've already posted this through feedback assistant (FB8767409) but posting here also to see if there is anyone experiencing the same issue.

It seems that now on big sur, when you try to load a kext, it builds a cache and checks all of kernel extensions available.., the problem is that if there is at least one that can't be loaded, then no one is loaded even when it's fine.

Here it's an example. When tried any Big Sur compatible extension with Virtual Box also installed (not compatible so far), the log shown:

Code Block
Error: Error Domain=KMErrorDomain Code=1 "Unable to resolve dependencies: 'org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB' names a dependency on 'org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv', which was not found." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Unable to resolve dependencies: 'org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB' names a dependency on 'org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv', which was not found.}

Even when this has nothing to do when the extension I want to load! :( Reproduced this with several kexts...

All other kexts were loaded just fine only after removing VirtualBox kext.., weird :(, this shouldn't be happening and kmutil/kextutil should only check the kext requested by the user to be loaded.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Replies

Any update on this? I have the same issue.