Rich Push with thumbnail image and long press image not working properly after iOS 14 update

We recently added rich push notifications to our app, which worked well on iOS 13. Our notifications have two attachments, the thumbnail and the image you see upon long pressing the notification. To facilitate this, we add these like so:

Code Block
         var hasMainImage = false
        //The order of elements in the attachments array matters!
        if let validImage = mainImage, let fileURL = self.saveImageAttachment(image: validImage, forIdentifier: "attachment.png"),
          let mainAttachment = try? UNNotificationAttachment(identifier: "attachment",
                                    url: fileURL,
                                    options: [UNNotificationAttachmentOptionsThumbnailHiddenKey : true])
        {
          hasMainImage = true
          bestAttemptContent.attachments.append(mainAttachment)
        }

if hasMainImage == true, let validImage = thumbnailImage, let fileURL = self.saveImageAttachment(image: validImage, forIdentifier: "thumbnail.png"),
          let thumbnailAttachment = try? UNNotificationAttachment(identifier: "thumbnail",
                                      url: fileURL,
                                      options: [UNNotificationAttachmentOptionsThumbnailHiddenKey : false])
        {
          bestAttemptContent.attachments.append(thumbnailAttachment)
        }

contentHandler(bestAttemptContent)

After iOS 14, however, we are no longer able to see the image for long pressing the notification (aka main image). We can compare side by side with an iOS 13 device so we assume that the images are downloading properly. I didn't see anything for push notifications or notification service extensions get called out in the iOS 14 release notes.

Replies

We have discovered same thing. iOS 14.0.1 on iPad Air 2. Same exact payload to other devices working. I can see in my logs that the service extension has processed the image and added the notification attachment. Everything seems normal. But no image is displayed when viewing the notification.
I am still looking for solutions to this
i'm still looking for answers to this :/
We've face same issue. Starting from iOS 14 - there are some occurrences of UNNotificationContentExtension not being called at all. Judging from logs - UNNotificationServiceExtension works fine and stores image as an attachment, but UNNotificationContentExtension isn't triggered when user performs force touch on PN.
Only blank UI is seen with extension actions on the bottom (that were configured from the main app).

This doesn't happen 10/10 which makes it much harder to reproduce, but still it's a huge pain for users that rely on Rich Notifications.