Can subscriptions be bought in bulk with Apple School Manager?

Hi, I have a free app with an optional paid subscription.

Currently my app is set up under "pricing and availability - Distribution for Business and education" as
  • Available on the App Store and for volume purchasing on Apple Business Manager and Apple School Manager

A teacher recently told me that they can not buy a subscription with Apple school manager. Is this true?

Does Apple School Manager only allow schools to buy paid (non-free) apps that have no subscription?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of GuidoGabo Down vote post of GuidoGabo
2.3k views
  • Did you figure this out? I have the same question. Trying to find out if Apple School Manager supports subscriptions (IAPs). I have an app that schools and school districts want to purchase. How do they purchase a subscription in bulk?

Add a Comment

Replies

Same question from me... does anyone know how you might offer subscription-based content to schools who use Apple School Manager to purchase and distribute apps to students? I called Apple support, who were very friendly, but the person I spoke to wasn't sure on the answer.

One solution I saw suggested setting the distribution method to "private" for School Manager users, who can then download the app for a price that matches whatever a year's subscription would be. I guess I'd need a system that meant at the end of a year they'd need to pay again to continue using the app if they wanted to. Not ideal in terms of admin etc. but better than nothing.

My understanding is that if the distribution method is set to private, you then have to add the IDs of organisations who are allowed to download it, so that's adding to the admin required even further.

If anyone has a solution they're aware of, I'd love to hear more.

Thanks.

• Terrible trying to find out how to get bulk app subscriptions to businesses and schools while allowing the public access to download the app. I am rattled because I thought they ie the business or education enterprise, need Apple Business Manager Software but real admin nightmares trying to get app into students or staff phones. Crazy no simple step by step guides to show how to do it. Frustrated too

Add a Comment

Is it still the same one year later? Or are there any "workarounds" ? ;-)