UISplitViewController push UIViewController to supplementary column

I'm trying to implement a three-column style in my Universal app. I want my columns as follows:
  • The primary/master column shows a list of folders

• The supplementary column shows files in the selected folder

• The secondary/detail column shows the content of the selected file.

I've wired everything up with segues in Storyboards:
  • Master view controller rows to supplementary view controller.

• Supplementary view controller rows to detail view controller.

This all works fine on iPhone. On the iPad however, I can't seem to be able to update the Supplementary column when selecting a row in the Master column. It just replaces the content in the Master column (with "show" adaptive segue) or in the Detail column (with "show detail" adaptive segue).

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

I have the same issue.
It is my understanding that the old 'detail' paradigm no longer applies with the new two-column / three-column styles.
It means, that there is no master/detail now, but just primary, supplementary, secondary and compact columns.
So even if showDetail works in some cases, it is actually an anomaly.
Until we get a first-class segue for 'columns' (eg. showSupplementary, showSecondary, showCompact), we may have to just set things programatically using setViewController(_:for:) methods.

Furthermore, I don't think the new documentation prescribes any specific direction in which the settings should be made (eg. Primary -> Supplementary -> Secondary). For example, an app may choose to populate supplementary and secondary at the same time (eg. Supplementary showing the overview of Secondary content), or secondary may drive the supplementary column. (eg. supplementary shows a snippet of secondary content). For these reasons, defining new segues may be difficult, and so we may have to rely on settings things programatically.