iOS 14 Beta 6 not longer shows App Clip Cards

After the App Clips shown successfully in in iOS Beta 5, it no longer shown in iOS Beta 6.

The Smart App Banner simply isn't shown.

Does anyone else see this issues?

Replies

Hey @liazkam,

Edit: An Apple Engineer replied to another thread here stating that the Smart Banner won't be live until iOS 14 is released: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/657921

I got my App Clip submission working I think the day after beta 6 dropped (compiled/uploaded via Xcode 12 beta 6). So far, I managed to get the Advanced App Clip submitted with one of my domains for demo purposes after much trial and error with the associated domains. From what I can tell, everything is setup on my end property to get the banner / app clip card to show when visiting my domain but I don't see either showing up. Additionally, when I do an iMessage with my domain url to an iOS 14 devices, the experience isn't showing up there either. It is hard to tell what is live and what is still pending developer release on Apple's side.

My "Experience URL Status" under the Advanced App Clip Experiences is set to "Received". I couldn't find documentation on the different status values. What does yours show? I'm wondering if there is a status that represents something to the effect of 'live in production'.

With that having been said, I can invoke the App Clip itself via test flight, and then it shows up in Settings > App Clips and can be removed from there.

NOTE: If anyone has issues submitting their binary and having it show up with the correct associated domain capability--your associated domain app clip listing should NOT include https://, but when you setup your advanced app clip, you do need to specify the https protocol.
I created a suggestion feedback FB8581967 requesting more documentation details around the associated domain app clip tag requirements.
Hi @edorphy,

I'm excited you got your app clip working in Advanced App Clip Experiences. Mine always displays "This URL is not contained in your app’s associated domains. Update associated domains or use a different URL." when I enter an https address even though it appears in my associated domains.

My app clip target's one associated domain is "appclips:mydomain.com" and my app target's association domains are "appclips:mydomain.com" and "applinks:ww.mydomain.com". (It actually has "www" but I can't submit this post with that.) The applinks domain seems to be working since it opens the app when I point my camera at a QR code with this domain.

Even though my app clip works when I launch it from Xcode using _XCAppClipURL, when I launch it from Test Flight, it seems to open with a white background that immediately disappears. Crashes? What should happen?

I'm also not sure what adding App Clip Invocations to Test Flight is supposed to do. What happens after I add one?
The Smart Banner App Clip invokation was 100% working in iOS 14 Beta 5.

The release notes even mention it with regards to testing "Local Experiences".

In addition to that, my thread "How to I make the App Clip Card Show?" 100% confirmed it was working. I even have screen shots on my phone from when it was working.

So I guess iOS 14 Beta 6 broke the Safari Banner?

As far as I understand, the Safari Banner was the only way to make the app clip card show.
Hi @bumbleparrot,

I can confirm the app clips worked 100% following your thread in Beta 5.
Can you confirm Beta 6 is broken for you too?

BTW, in App Store Connect in Advanced App Clip Experiences the experienced are marked Received with a green light.
In the video 'What's new in App Store Connect WWDC2020' the experiences are marked Published. I guess this is another standby mode Apple keeps us in.

Please update here if you manage to make any progress with Beta 6.

Cheers

I figured out my problem...

If you the message "This URL is not contained in your app’s associated domains. Update associated domains or use a different URL." when trying to create an Advanced App Clip Experience in App Store Connect, it may have nothing to do with the associated domain entitlement in your app, but have everything to do with a bad apple-app-site-association file on your server.

My apple-app-site-association file did not have the correct app id. Once I fixed that, it took a few minutes, but then I was able to see that it was valid in the App Store Connect / Build / DOMAIN STATUS by clicking "View Status" and then clicking "Load Debug Status." Note: the apple tool to validate apple-app-site-association files DOES NOT WORK and will likely give you a JSON error. Apple needs to fix it.

Also note that the "CACHE STATUS" must be green before you can create an Advanced App Clip Experience. If you don't want to wait for the cache to expire (over an hour), just upload a new version of your app.

I can also confirm that I can't get the Card to appear after using iOS Beta 6.

And my Advanced App Clip Experiences in App Store Connect also show a green "Received" status, not "Published."
Hi @liazkam,

Yeh, Launching the app clip card from a Safari Smart Banner worked in iOS 14 Beta 5.

It is no longer working in iOS 14 beta 6.
Same in beta 7, confused why this worked in beta 5?
I am facing same issue for iOS 14 beta 6, not able use smart app banner for testing app clip card.
Yup Beta 7 and still won’t work!!!!
I can verify that this is still not working on:
  • iOS 14 Beta 7

• xCode 12 Beta 6

The Safari Smart App Banner was last working in iOS 14 Beta 5.

Can someone from Apple confirm this no longer works?

If you're using local app clip experiences to test those do not support displaying the smart app banner in Safari. They only work to simulate QR and NFC invocations. If the smart app banner does show up for a local experience today, that's unfortunately a bug.

Our supported methods for test invocations are documented in Testing Your App Clip’s Launch Experience, and please file feedback for things you'd like to see in the future.
I think the safari smart App banner that was temporarily working in iOS 14 beta 5 threw a lot of us off as we thought that was the only way to show the App clip card. It stopped working in iOS beta 6, but it sounds like it showing was bug in the first place.

The other really specific detail is that the QR code invocation only works when you use the QR code reader App from the control center. This does not work with the normal Camera App. Another Apple engineer confirmed this by linking the foot notes from the iOS 14 announcement page. Footnote 14

@edorphy , did you ever discover what the other statuses are for the Advanced App Clip submissions? I submitted mine a couple days ago and also show just "Received". Did yours ever change to something else and approximately how long did it take?
Hi matthew161,

No, it will stay received. You can now run your try to invoke using QR codes or Smart-App-Banner