Automating installation of Configuration Profiles on Big Sur

Our application used the profile -I command to install a wireless configuration profiles for the user. Starting with macOS Big Sur, terminal commands can no longer be used to install configuration profiles. Along with this, there are no APIs available to do the same. I get that Apple wants the user to be in control of any Configuration Profile installations, but the system notification that doesn't actually take you to the 'Profiles' section on click along not being very descriptive seems like something that may cause confusion among users.

To make the installation process easier, we are triggering a file open of the .mobileconfig followed by opening System Preferences using terminal commands (open <path/to/mobileconfig and open "x-apple.systempreferences:com.apple.preference") and then waiting for the user to navigate to profiles and approve the profile to be installed. Opening the Profiles section was possible on older versions, is there a way to do the same on Big Sur? Is there anything else we could do to make the profile installation process a little more intuitive for the user?

Replies

Same issue seen from my end. In addition to this, "mdm.mobileconfig" downloaded to "Downloads" folder and no notification to user and there is no way user user can navigate to settings "Profiles" section to view and install further. Is an issue in the BigSur Beta or that is an expected behavior ?
I have the same issue. Trying to install a Root certificate, Wireless or Wired profile requires a user to go into Profiles and Install. Is there a way to automate this process now with Big Sur?
I am having the same problem. Before Big sur my app is working fine with command profiles -I -F "file.mobileconfig". I was able to install the profile but on Big sur this command is not working. I understand that apple has imposed restrictions to install profile via command line. My question is , is there any way to achieve my desired result. Is it possible to open the profile in preference pane via command line?

I have the same issue. Any alternate way to install profiles without user's input ?