Unable to connect to other Macs running Big Sur (beta 5) using File Sharing

When trying to connect to another Mac running Big Sur (beta 5) using file sharing (smb or afp), it won't accept the username/password. The dialog just shakes and won't connect.

I could connect from a Mac running Bug Sur to another Mac running Catalina fine but not the other way around.

Anyone got a workaround?

Reported as FB8520247

Replies

I have the same experience, except File Sharing does not work in the other direction, either. The connection is made, the volumes are displayed, but trying to access a volume fails.
Same here, absolutely impossible to share anything from Macs running Big Sur. Tried Catalina and Big Sur clients.
I have the same problem connecting from Mac running Big Sur to another running Big Sur, so I can't easily copy files such as Xcode 12 beta. My only option at the moment is going from Big Sur 1 --> Catalina --> Big Sur 2.
I was experiencing the same issue on the Big Sur Beta. On a whim I ran a fix for a file sharing vulnerability that Apple released quite a while ago and lo and behold it worked.

The following command fixed sharing for me:
Code Block sh
$ sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC

Related security update: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208317
Code Block
sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC

did not work for me
ACK, same here. First it was one way problem only (not able to access anything on network from my TDK), now -since the beta 6 update- it is I-directional.

Since latest I found that automator scripts to connect to a server do not work any more as well. What a mess.

This sort of thing can happen (authentication failures) if the system clocks are desynchronized.
Same here between 2 Macs running Big Sur beta 6.

Don’t get an authentication error, though - get a message saying “There was a problem connection to the server <hostname>. Contact your administrator for more information.”

Console shows error “netfs_GetServerInfo returned 5”

Can connect to the shares on both Macs from Windows 10.

Can’t connect from Mac to Windows 10; same error as above.

Same here. I can screen share, but not file share.
I has having exactly the same issue. Could connect Big Sur Beta (MBP) to Calatalina (iMac) but not the other way around. The post by kdubb- $ sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC worked perfectly for me. File Sharing now works like a dream in both directions.
I has having exactly the same issue. Could connect Big Sur Beta (MBP) to Calatalina (iMac) but not the other way around. The post by kdubb- $ sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC worked perfectly for me. File Sharing now works like a dream in both directions.

Solution was to disable file sharing in System Preferences > Sharing on both macs, reboot, and re-enable sharing (also remote management if you had that on as well)

Hope that helps!

I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it:

-from the System Preferences screen, head towards the Users & Groups option. click the padlock, “Allow guest users to connect to shared folders”.