drag and drop oddity.

I have a number of objects that handle Drops, all of their code is descended from a single object where I noticed an oddity in Drag n drop behavior. That that is, if I do not add a particular set of lines to the performDrop method, the pasteboard appears to be empty.

what gives?

Code Block
open override func performDragOperation(_ sender: NSDraggingInfo, forCon: BKLayerController) -> Bool{
     var retVal = false
     let paneRec = forCon.rep as! CNPanelRecord
let pasteBoard : NSPasteboard = sender.draggingPasteboard
if pasteBoard.types?.contains(CNDragTypeToolBox) == true{
retVal = true
let encoder = JSONEncoder()
let thePoint = CGPoint()
/* if I do not add this if statement... drag n drop does not work */
if let newPlistData = pasteBoard.propertyList(forType: CNDragTypeToolBox){}
       let payload = pasteBoard.readObjects(forClasses: [pBoardNode.self], options: nil)
let droppedItems : [CNDagObj] = (payload as! [pBoardNode]).map({$0.docNode.dagObjs}).flatMap { $0 }
for each in droppedItems{
each.uuid = UUID().uuidString
do {
                             let ptData = try encoder.encode(thePoint)
                            if let env = paneRec.focus as? CNEnvelopment{
env.dagObjPos[each.uuid] = ptData
}
                        } catch  {
                            debugPrint("tring to convert a Point to a Data, in updateLayout in CDEditorDel")
                        }
                    }
                    if var env = paneRec.focus as? CNEnvelopment{
                        env.dagObjs += droppedItems
                    }
                }
                 return retVal
             }

forgive formatting and code issues. it works just fine, but I had a heck of a time fixing the formatting in the Forum editor. There's likely now, a LOT of text that used to be comments... how could that be any worse? Anyway, "if let newPlistData = pasteBoard.propertyList(forType: CNDragTypeToolBox){}" is the line. if that is not called, the drop pasteboard is empty, if it is called, my objects are there.

I don't need that object, it has nothing at all to do with anything I am doing. Why is it necessary?

also: @Apple... you really messed up the forums. this is so difficult to work with.