After Installing MacOS Big Sur latest beta update, My mac is showing battery service required warning in battery Icon.

Hi, I installed and update the macOS Big Sur latest available beta and after installation is done, It is showing me battery service required warning in my battery icon, My mac is new and it's been hardly 5-6 months and used casually.
  • Is it the same with macOS Monterey?

Add a Comment

Replies

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2017 MBP after upgrading to Big Sur.
The 1% battery after installing Big Sur is driving me crazy too (Coconut shows 92.8% and 212 cycles, but no charging whatsoever). It happened right after the public release of Big Sur. Installed without issues, but suddenly, when on a video call, my MBP 2016 switched off. No warnings of low battery, just instant-off. Tried SMC and NVRAM resets but no result. Diagnostics showed PPT006. Reinstalled Big Sur (as was advised by an Apple service employee), downgraded to Catalina, re-upgraded to Big Sur, but the problem remained. So the Apple Service employee told me to service the battery, which I did at an Certified Reseller. Paid the 79 euro's, because the Service Employee told me a new battery would cost 139 euro, so I decided to go for it. After a few weeks, the Certified Reseller said it would cost 750 euro to fix it. Say what? The trade-in value is 460, so no way. So they sent it back. The Certified Reseller stated that the Apple Service Employee shouldn't have mentioned the 139 cost of battery replacement and the couldn't do anything for me. And here I am with a MBP that needs power at all times and I lost 79 euros.

If Apple would only admit these problems are not a user's fault and offer me a realistic trade in value, I would do it and go for a M1-MBA. But since Apple is playing hide and seek on this matter, I'm afraid to buy the M1-MBA and trading in my MBP-2016, only to discover that Apple is very sorry, but can only offer me 1 euro for a MBP with PPT006, caused by Apple. That's my nightmare. So I can only wait until Apple admits their mistake.

So come on, Apple! Reach out to all users that you've left in the cold and be generous!
I face the same problem, after upgrade to Big Sur 11.1 the battery icon showed 1%. Also, it can not be charged, I must plug the power cable all the time. I contact the online service they didn't see the same issue, and can not solve the problem. After reading this, I have reason to believe, this is a software issue rather than the hardware. I wish the next upgrade version that can fix this issue.
I got a similar problem after upgrading to Big Sur too when the battery goes around 50%. It's like the OS is not reading the battery status correctly when I log on and thinks the battery is empty when it's still at 50% giving me the empty "battery / plug in" logo when I try to get it out of sleep! Eventually I can get it out of sleep and can continue my work!!! Unfortunately, the upgrade os by os trick didn't work, and Apple doesn't even know what to do or tell me. It's like Big Sur is breaking the battery firmware somehow! Weird enough, when the battery is between 100% and around 50%, I have no problem and the macbook starts with no problem, I can even use it until the battery is really empty. Those battery bugs are all too weird and should be adressed by Apple, tho I think that Intel based macs are not a priority anymore!
Exact same here!

After update to Big Sur... brand new MBP 2018 touchbar is a desktop! Wont charge battery that has 2 cycles on it! Stuck at 1% and showing Service Recommended!

Apple, this is absurd! There are hundereds of people with this problem that I found with a quick google search! Please fix your software so that we can use the laptops we bought as laptops, not desktop PCs!

UNACCEPTABLE!
‘Service Recommended’ shows after upgrade to Big Sur 11.1 on MacBook 2017.

Battery won’t hold charge for more than an hour or so.

Ugh.
I face the same problem, after upgrade to Big Sur 11.1 the battery icon showed 1%. On my Macbook Pro 13 2017. Does anyone have a solution?
I'm facing the same issue although I haven't upgraded the system to Big Sur.

Version: 10.15.7 (19H2)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
I have the same issue after reinstalling my MacBook pro mid-2015 15" with Big Sur. Only 400 cycles in the battery and no issues with Catalina.
I'm facing the same issue after I upgrad the system to Big Sur.
Same problem. Erased HD and reverted to Catalina. No effect. Now have to setup the Mac again. Apple support continue to deny all knowledge of this despite hundreds of reports. If anyone comes up with a solution please post here.
Similar problem here. Since Big Sur my USB-C ports randomly stop working in respect to charging. The battery runs empty although the Macbook is connected to the charger. If I change the port it suddenly charges again. This is particularly annoying when leaving the Macbook closed lid and coming back after some time finding the Macbook battery completely drained.

Same issue here with my 2017 MacBook Pro 13" without TouchBar (A1708). In addition, it automatically goes to sleep randomly even when the battery indicator shows percentages well above 50%. Turning it back on results in the low battery indicator. Once it's plugged in, it turns on fine and resumes as normal. I'm running a clean install of Big Sur 11.1

This definitely isn't something I'd expect from Apple. In fact, issues like these were the very reason I switched in the first place. What a shame.
I had keyboard issues(repetitive keystroke issue). While I was fiddling with my system report, I noticed my battery health was down to less than 75% even though my computer is a 15" from late 2018 at ~200 cycles. Apple on their website recommends replacing batteries when it reaches 80% health.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201585

I reached out to customer support and they offered to replace the keyboard free of cost which comes attached with the battery too.

I brought it home and I have used the computer for just over two weeks, 99% of the time plugged in. I used the computer on battery for a maximum of about 1.5 hrs. My total cycle count already says I'm at 4. My battery capacity dropped from >7400 to <7280.

The two times I used my computer on battery, the remaining charge drops from 75% to 45% in less than 30 minutes. No resource heavy operations. Just a streaming video. Not sure what is going on. It's just a two weeks old battery.
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
Shortly after upgrading to Big Sur, I had battery needs service.
I replaced the battery and two weeks later, it says the battery needs service again and won't charge it.
Something is rather ******.