macOS Big Sur - Multiple Display "Recovery"

I've found something thing macOS Big Sur broke - the "recovery" after changing display sources. Let me explain...

I have one big 4K monitor, connected to both my Mac (USB-C) and my PC (HDMI). I switch between the two sources on the monitor depending on what I'm doing. Each computer also has its own dedicated monitor (built-in for my Macbook, an old external for my PC).

Prior to macOS Big Sur, if I switched to the PC input on the monitor, all the macOS windows would shift over to the built-in laptop display, and then shift back to their correct window once I switched back. They no longer do that.

The application all stay on the laptop screen and the big screen is empty when I switch the source back on the monitor. I then have to move everything back to the big display.

I guess that's better than the PC behavior where even if you switch the source on the display back to the Mac, Windows still thinks its connected and continues to extend the display (the fix for that is to go to display properties and select "only show on display 2") , but thats a whole other gripe.

Has anyone else experienced this as well? Is there a setting I'm missing? Should I file a bug report?
Same issue. All the macOS windows would shift over to the built-in laptop display
Same issues.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
External monitor: Samsung S24D590
Same issue. All the macOS windows would shift over to the built-in laptop display when disconnecting or locking the device ...
Same Issue.

I have two external Monitors connected via USB C (MBP is closed) and when the Notebook goes to sleep, all Windows are shifted to the right edge of the left monitor (its the main monitor).
I can get the windows back by ctrl+arrow-up and dragging them to the right monitor. then back to the left one.
I'm having the same issue. After paying a huge amount of money for a Macbook I would expect a fix ASAP, or at least at this point someone should give us an update. Is this being worked on?
I've had the same issue on multiple setups, multiple monitor types and brands. Unfortunately, no permanent fix, but here is my current work-around in Big Sur:

Spotlight Search for "Displays" (or go to System Preferences->Displays)
Select "Arrangement" Tab (Next to currently selected "Display")
Select "Mirror Displays", wait a second for it to mirror to the external monitor.
Finally DEselect "Mirror Displays" and voila, windows pop back to prior location on external monitors and Macbook.

Not the best solution, but a couple of infuriating clicks, and at least it's back to the way you had it...until it's unplugged again...and until there is a real fix!

latest UPDATE from below: I fixed this by creating a newly calibrated profile. Seems like the stock profiles (in my case DELL P2715Q) don't play nicely with Big Sur anymore, hence the disappearing (offscreen) app windows and weird resolution on wake or dis-re-connect.

I'm not sure what the connection between color profiles and this display issue is, but the fix is pretty solid. I opened an Apple bug just in case.

NOTE: I verified this by switching between the old and new color profile for my external display. I used "calibrate" to force a new Big Sur color profile. You can also test this by simply switching to a vanilla color profile (like display) ...
Many thanks to @pkouame !!!

I've tried lot of settings in Display options but his advice about calibrating new display profile resolved my problem (disappearing windows after reconnecion HDMI via adapter).
I have the same issue. When my computer sleeps it's like power to the USBC gets cut and will not reconnect unless you unplug the external monitor for 5sec and plug back in. All the apps/ screens on the second monitor have to be quit and reopened because they hide in the background thinking they are still on the second monitor. Very frustrating, please fix ASAP apple.
Same issue - tried the fix on profiles did not work.... have two view sonic monitors va2756 and connected directly from USB-C to HDMI.

Also - did NVRAM reset, OS reinstall, reboot, etc not much left to do at this point.
I'm facing the same situation on both my work and home monitor set up. This is incredibly frustrating and I've told all of the members of my engineering group to not update to Big Sur until this is fixed.
Hi I was having this problem with my 2nd monitor (27" Class 4K UHD IPS LED Monitor with VESA DisplayHDR 400) that I use for work. After updating to Big Sur, I was no longer able to drag documents to the 'second desktop' on my monitor and could not access windows that I pulled to the monitor's desktop if I was to unplug and plug in the usb-c -- they would simply disappear off screen but if you pressed the task manager button they would appear as there.

I found that after updating to Big Sur my 2017 MacBook Pro was forcing my monitor to use HDR which I discovered after noticing the irritating colors. After going into the display setting and turning off this option it seemed to fix the problem.

Hopefully this helps others!
this is the most annoying thing i find about big sur. there is no update or fix about this. however, here is the workaround i follow now.

1) When the windows disappear, while still connected to your external monitor, close your macbook pro.
2) The "hidden" windows will now appear in the external monitor. Now open the macbook pro display
3) The windows will now move back to the macbook pro display.
4) Now move them one by one back to your external monitor.

I know this is stupid and a trillion dollar company having such a low quality resources. This is a regression issue and if I were the engineering manager I would have fired their QA team already!
Confirmed Fix!

System Preferences -> Display -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!
Apple has not responded to the bug I logged regarding the "hidden application windows on external displays after wake or dis-re-connect" issue and my color profile work around yet. My Apple bug is FB8918417. I encourage all developers who are experiencing the same issue (there are other issues mixed in this thread) to file a similar one referencing that bug #. Maybe that will grab engineering's attention. Use feedbackassistant.apple.com. This deserves a quick fix in a Big Sur update ...
I've been trying varying things for this behavior, and tried the following that was suggested by cv_:

System Preferences -> Display -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!

For me, the new calibrated profile, did indeed solve the issue.
When I disconnect the external monitor, all windows shoot back to the MBP; when I reconnect the external monitor, the windows previously displayed there are back in that space.

Similar issue here.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)
Two external monitors (ASUS PB278)
MacOS 11.0.1

The monitor hooked up via HDMI to HDMI works fine, the monitor hooked up via USB-C to HDMI doesn't work.

The monitor that doesn't work IS recognized by the OS, I see it in displays but only black on screen. I've experimented with unplugging/rebooting/pram/etc. and I've seen both monitors work for a few seconds then USB-C to HDMI monitor goes back to black...
Same sort of issues here.
Mac Mini M1, running 2 x 27 inch displays- one connected via HDMI directly, and another connected via USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Every time upon a rewake from sleep/ restart, I will need to redo all the display settings:
  • rearrange monitors so that my mouse scrolls properly across both screens

• adjust scaling on the 4k monitor to display 2560x1440, as it would default to 1920x1080

Super irritating! I tried using another USB-C to HDMI adapter....same issue.
Tried the calibration, NVRAM reset and SMC reset as suggested by some in this thread. Didn't work either.
Update:
Somehow after unplugging the HDMI cables from the Mac Mini M1, from the HDMI port and the USB-C to HDMI adapter, and swapping them, around, I was able to remedy the situation.

I no longer need to go into display settings to rescale/ position the monitors after restart/ sleep.

Try swapping the ports /cables if your situation persists. I figure this is the best way until Apple releases a fix.

Same issue.
MBP15 USB-C -> Displayport Samsung 4k

every time I switch monitor to my home sever and back - all windows disappear from external monitor or go to built in monitor.

Annoying Apple...
Oops my fix didn't work overnight. It reverted to the same issue again!
Since update to big sur arrangement is s**t working with a display link docking... Nothing is working to keep my arrangement settings saved. After a lock of the screen my displays are randomly arranged. Very annoying...

Is there a solution to this?

Even https://github.com/jakehilborn/displayplacer is not working...
Confirmed Fix!

System Preferences -> Display -> HDMI Monitor -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!
I can confirm the fix works for me, thanks for the great tip!

System Preferences -> Display -> HDMI Monitor -> Color -> Calibrate... -> Click through all the dialogs, Done!

Hi, I used displaylink.com/downloads/macos and downloaded the software program for big sur. It redirected me to my security settings. I allowed displaylink to look at my apples location and settings at all times. After clicking done, I was able to to reconnect the same setup I had before the update! hope this helps! feel free to reach out.
macOS Big Sur - Multiple Display "Recovery"

Q