iOS App - LaunchScreen.storyboard displays black on iOS14 beta

Hi

I have an iOS app that is in the App Store.

I've just downloaded Xcode 12 and iOS 14 Beta 1, which I've installed on my Ipad Pro 12.9" Gen 1.

In both the Simulator and on the real device, on iOS 14 the launch screen is just black.

However, the EXACT same code, run in Xcode 11.5 in the iOS 13 simulator (and the app in the App Store) show the launch screen storyboard just fine.

The same code is being opened in both versions of Xcode and no changes are made. I can go back and forth between Xcode versions and the same code works on iOS 13 simulator and breaks on iOS 14 simulator / iPad.

There are no errors. No build problems. No warnings.

Everything is the same release code that is working in the store, but when ran in Xcode 12 and on iOS 14 Beta 1, the launch screen is totally black.

Any help please? I need to ensure compatibility.

Thanks
Answered by Captain Summers in 676376022

It seems that there was some kind of update or change to the way that the SDK renders PNG files. So I had to re-export everything as JPEG and everything worked. I couldn’t find anything in the release notes that mentioned the changes to the JPEG and PNG handling or rendering but this was the issue.

Just re-confirmed this bug as present on an iPhone 6s using iOS 14 Public Beta 2, with the app downloaded from the App Store. Before update - launch storyboard was fine. After iOS 14 is installed, storyboard is black.

No help / advice yet from Apple.
Do you use a launch storyboard or just a launch image ?

Could you try with a new application to test if this occurs as well ?
Any update on this? I am having the same issue.

I found that if I set this key in my info.plist UILaunchScreen
And remove the key for UILaunchStoryboardName
Then the launch stops showing as a black screen.
However the documentation says we are supposed to be able to continue to use UILaunchStoryboardName, which I want to do also to maintain compatibility on iOS 12 and 13
Same here, iPadOS 14b7, launch screen = black, on iOS 13, it works.
Same here.
In may case, It is happed only on iPhone SE(iOS12.0).
Xcode 12.0.1

But fixed:

I changed the filename of image from xxxx_xx.png to xxxx.png.
and Fixed.

Accepted Answer

It seems that there was some kind of update or change to the way that the SDK renders PNG files. So I had to re-export everything as JPEG and everything worked. I couldn’t find anything in the release notes that mentioned the changes to the JPEG and PNG handling or rendering but this was the issue.

iOS App - LaunchScreen.storyboard displays black on iOS14 beta

Q