Consultant wants my Developer Apple ID and Password?!?

I'm new to the world of software development. I'm a long time businessman and Mac user. Also long time iPad user. Now I've just enrolled in the Apple Development program.

The venture at hand is a mobile app to help the field team of my expanding business. Stage of development is "almost ready" for physical field testing on iPads. But for the last 12 months my previous app consultants had simply sent IPA files and weblinks for me to download and install the early rudimentary builds in my personal iPad for reviewing and testing.

Now my new consultant is also an outsourced individual like before. He seems competent enough. He will take care of all the actual coding of the mobile app. Then as owner and creator I do the general design for functionality, graphic appearance, user experience, etc. I review the consultant's build and send feedback for changes.

But new consultant is now asking for my Apple ID and password to send his first build!? Does not sound right. Surely I don't know left from right as a newbie here. And maybe he's also not familiar enough with how much access he really needs to ITunes Connect or TestFlight or whatever. But heck, might as well give him my credit card credentials. And many others like him also as for Apple ID and password. WTH?

Suggestions? Advice? I'd otherwise have to wait 'til Monday to call Apple Developer Support.

• Yea legit consultants will never request your user id and password for anything. Get help from an experienced, legit consultants here: https://consultantvue.co/small-business-consulting/

Add a Comment

Replies

Hi Kenhain. Have you managed to figure this out. Seems like there is no resources available online that explains this.

I am not an expert at this, but I do development with my personal developer account, as well as work on iOS applications at work.

Please look at this link...

https://developer.apple.com/support/compare-memberships/

There is a difference between individual and organization accounts.

An individual can only enroll in the "Apple Developer Program (individual type)" as an individual and can not invite other people to the account.

An organization (company) may enroll in either the "Apple Developer Program (organization type)" or the "Apple Developer Enterprise Program" or both (each will need a unique AppleID however).

Only the orgainization version of the "Apple Developer Program" will allow inviting other programmers/developers to your "team" to develop and sign an app on your behalf.

The individual "Apple Developer Program" lacks this team feature as it is not needed for personal development.

Then there is the difference between "Apple Developer Program" and "Apple Developer Enterprise Program."

The difference is that the "Apple Developer Program" allows developing apps for release on the app store and is what applies to most developers.

The "Apple Developer Enterprise Program" is designed for companies that want to design an app for internal (inside their organization) distribution. It does not allow releasing apps to the app store, it is only for internal distribution of apps.

It is possible for a company to enroll in both the "Apple Developer Program" and "Apple Developer Enterprise Program" at the same time, if you need to distribute an app internally and on the app store at the same time. However, with an internal application, since it is not on the app store, guidelines are more relaxed on what you can and can not include since the app is not checked by Apple. As soon as it is signed it can be distributed (though a companies own distrubution system).

One other thing to mention, as of recently enrollment in the Apple Developer Program (that requires a yearly fee) is no longer required for personal development using your own personal device (iOS device). Enrollment will only be necessary to submit to the app store.

I am not sure about the requirements for testflight though, someone might be able to answer this one.

If you are doing development at a company you should never need to give your AppleID information out to the developers. They can be invited to your "team (Apple Developer Program or Apple Developer Enterprise Program)" and develop/sign apps with organizations's account. If you are using a personal (individual) account at the company I would highly recommend contacting Apple to have it converted to a organization account. An organization account is much more flexible for business use. This can be done according to this link https://developer.apple.com/support/enrollment/

I have basically repeated what is in the above link, if I have gotten anything wrong, someone fell free to correct me.

This is correct, an individual account can not invite others to the "team" since it is ment for indivudual use.

It would be a good idea to contact Apple to have it converted to an "organization" type account.

Please see the reply I posted below for more details.

Once the account is converted you will be able to add others to your "team" to develop/sign apps on your behalf.

I would not recommend giving out your password to anyone.

In the worst case, they can develop the application using their own personal (free) account that they can easily create with an AppleID and then send you an "archive" build of the application, which you can then re-sign and upload to somewhere, or submit to the app store.

You can create the archive in XCode (under the menus Product => Archive).