Xcode/iTunes not recognizing devices

Starting this morning (11/12/15), Xcode/iTunes no longer recognizes my devices. So far, I've tried iPhone 6s+, 6, 5, 4s, and iPad Air. No joy.

Interestingly enough, the desktop Photos app recognizes devices. Checking System Info, the devices do appear in the System Report usb hardware.

I am running OS X 10.11.1 (15B42) and latest Xcode 7.1.1 (7B1005). BTW, the error occurred on the previous installed version. I updated it to 7.1.1 after the error in hopes this would error which it didn't.

I have done full reboots and even the clear-pram-boot to no avail.

I have rebooted Yosemite from another partiion and Xcode recognizes the devices just fine so it's definately not the hardware.

Any else have this problem? Is it possible it's related to MAS Cert problem that popped up this morning?

Gene Dahilig

Replies

Are any of those devices connected directly to your Mac?

How many USB devices are connected at one time?

Are they running a beta iOS?

Screen shots:

System Info Report

I'm seeing the exact same thing as well.

Macbook Air - OSX 10.11.1

iPhone 6s - iOS 9.1

iPad mini 3 - iOS 9.1

Xcode - 7.1.1

I was able to see my iPad in Xcode as a device target, but that was before I plugged in the second device. Since they were both in at the same time, I can't get Xcode or iTunes to detect the devices. I've done a reboot of all devices (Mac, Xcode, iPhone and iPad) with no changes. Xcode doesn't even detect the device when there's only one plugged in.

Screenshot of the Devices window in Xcode:

I'm also seeing the usbmuxd process running at 99% in Activity Monitor. Might be related.

Any updates here? I just started seeing the same thing this morning.

Everything running latest release builds. Devices show up in System Information. Xcode (and iTunes) doesn't recognize them. Tryint with iPhone 6, Apple TV, and iPad Pro connected.

It appears that I fixed the problem by re-installing iTunes (go here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/). iTunes recognizes my devices and Xcode is able to debug my app on the device. Woohoo!

BTW, Re-running the install didn't wipe any music or videos, but you might want to do a full backup before 😉.

Good luck!

Gene Dahilig

Good info - thanks for the update and g'luck w/your apps.

Ken

Update:

After about a day of use, the problem resurfaced this morning. I was able to do a couple of debug session on an iPhone6+, then I get a message saying "This device is no longer connected."

So my fix-by-re-installing-itunes did not completely fix it. I have also tried doing a full boot partition back up/restore. That also worked temporarily.

Not sure what else to do next. Maybe its time to do a re-install of El Cap.

Update:

Re-installing iTunes again does work.

Gene Dahilig

Same junk here! With xcode 7.1.1 I have to restart my machine in order for it to work , then after about 5 min it stops working again, reminds me of windows!

Come on Apple stop messing up!

Same exact error here. It's ridiculously induruating....I delete iTunes every night. Any news guys? Time for an Apple Engineer to pop in and fix this if you ask me.

I have the same issue after updating my Mac to El Capitan, it won't recognise any device via USB, cables changed, different ports used. Several hours on the phone resulting in several re-installs of OS and iTunes and still no closer to a solution. This is obviously not an isolated incident, any ideas Apple?

Hi guys,

Good to see that I'm not the only one here ! The problem happened after upgrading to El Capitan and I can't test my latest code. I'll have to deploy a build and install it through TestFlight...

There should be a very simple solution to this problem of device not being recognized. The fact that it works sometimes and then breaks could indicates a cache problem. But I've no idea on which cache to flush!

Finally solved the same issue on my end by replacing my old usb cable with a newly bought one from Apple store. Works like a charm! 🙂

Same problem here. The MacBook had gone to sleep in between, but iPhone was charging, recognised in iTunes, recognised as a USB device in "About My Mac", just not in Xcode. Quitting Xcode and launching again didn't help. Restarting the Mac helped.

If you are using any extensions remove it , plug your cable directly to your phone

I am experiencing this issue with Xcode 12.0 beta and I have iOS 14.0 beta on my device. It was working perfectly 2 days ago and has suddenly stopped workng.

I've tried:
  1. Restarting my MAC

2. Connecting usb-c to the device

3. Using an adapter and connecting usb - device

I'm running macOS 10.15.4 and do not have iTunes (there is no itunes for this OS)

Anyone experiencing this issue with Xcode 12.0 beta? I could use some help here since i've been blocked for 2 days now and need to run on device to access the camera