"This Helped Me" not working?

So you know how when you click "This Helped Me" at the bottom of a message how it's supposed to add 5 points to the writer's reputation. Well, I just noticed that it doesn't seem to be working correctly—if at all. Has anyone else noticed anything funny?

Replies

I had forgotten until just now, but I started a similar thread a while back 😁:

Mark as Helpful vs. This helped me

I would argue that the points help to establish users' credibility—or at the very least the amount of time they've been forum members. For example, your 5,000 points shows that you really know what you're talking about, so your opinion means more than someone with, say 0 points.

I've noticed that all the forum members who know what they're talking about seem to accumulate points at a roughly constant rate; I joined here at the end of June, a few weeks after everyone's points got reset, so I guess I'll always be a few hundred behind KMT, for example.

And, I suppose, it's kind of fun to try to quantify someone's experience/credibility. 🙂

I suspect any existing JIVE Software forum docs are either windows or unix-centric. No $ in the contract for OS X tweaks.

But in typical Apple fashion, users are left to discover for themselves and/or rely on each other, third party blogs, etc. to translate what does/doesn't do what.

Used to be on the public forums mods would react to users asking for threads to be marked solved as a sort of self-promotion. I used to do it on the old forums to help shed light on the process as I think it can make it easier to know what is hopefully a solution vs. having to scan the thread and guess. But again, that means users doing what should be a mods job, and I don't see (nor expect) any official/full-time staffer working here towards that goal, which I conclude is just another budget decision.

Fair point (sorry, can't help myself 😝) - and I'm not against the point system as such, but if I had to choose, I'd lobby primarily for your first suggestion of better (or even any) documentation and only secondarily for animated point counts that alert me of a change. An email to let you know that your replies had helped a poster resolve their issue would be gratifying though - but them marking my answer as correct doesn't trigger that - for me at least. Do you get an email if someone marks your solution as correct?

Yes, and I would have started encouraging people to use the post promotion system sooner if there wasn't the danger of it being misconstrued as self-serving. I eventually decided that encouraging post promotion (thereby preventing people from having to post new questions simply because a perfectly good existing answer doesn't get promoted to them) was more important than being concerned with how it might be perceived.

I can't say that there's no self-interest involved though - I'm glad to be saved the typing / copy-pasting required for answering the same question umpteen times 🙂

I've seen a few emails saying "Reply marked as helpful on <query title as applies>..."

But I don't recall notification on greened replies indicate acceptance as solved.

As bob and I agreed above - broke.

Yeah, I've seen the ones about helpful responses too, but you're right—there were never any about a solved question. I would prefer to have it the other way around.