Apple TV Update: The update was not successful

Settings > System > Update Software tells me there's an available update. I select to "Download and Install" it. The progress bar goes across as expected. After about a minute, I select to "Update Now". The screen blanks for a second, and I briefly see a "Step 1 of 2" screen, then I get:

Apple TV Update

The update was not successful.

To restart your Apple TV and try again, go to Settings > System and choose Restart.

I choose "OK" (the only option), restart the device, and try again, but the same thing happens.

Thoughts?

Accepted Reply

See http://adcdownload.apple.com/iOS/tvOS_beta/tvOS_beta_Software_Installation_Guide.pdf

1. Download the tvOS beta 2 software restore image from the Apple Developer download page on your Mac.

2. Launch iTunes on your Mac

3. Ensure the Apple TV is connected to your Mac.

4. Using the included remote, press and hold MENU + Play/Pause for 6 seconds until the indicator light begins flashing rapidly.

5. Hold the Option key and click Restore Apple TV in iTunes

6. Select the tvOS beta software restore image from step 1 and click Open to begin installation.

Replies

I am having this same problem.

Same problem here... Seems like it needs network connection to continue ( and loses wifi during the step ), so I plugged in an ethernet cable and was able to get a little bit further...

Unfortunately the AppleTV did end up flashing and seemed bricked. Was able to get it back to life holding down [MENU + Play/Pause] for 6 seconds.

Then I did try to restore using iTunes... But it seems to end up in the same state and iTunes says "Waiting for AppleTV".

I will now try to revert to Beta 1 and wait for more info /Beta 3 ( hopefully soon )

UPDATE: Was able to update to Beta 2 using iTunes... The trick was to unplug the HDMI cable before starting the process. Not sure if it's the solution or just a lucky shot... But it worked after several failures using both Beta 1 and 2

Hello guys,

I had the same exact problème and tried almost 10 times on my Network Cable. Even unplugged and plugged again to check that Network was reconized.

It appears that whatever you do with an OK Network cable, it can only be activated through WIFI connexion. Which is of course always painful to configure with the remote control (considering that installing iOS 9.1 could still be risky on your everyday phone 🙂 ).

So, jump on it and CHOOSE WIFI NETWORK FOR ACTIVATION.

At least it worked for me!

_oho.

See http://adcdownload.apple.com/iOS/tvOS_beta/tvOS_beta_Software_Installation_Guide.pdf

1. Download the tvOS beta 2 software restore image from the Apple Developer download page on your Mac.

2. Launch iTunes on your Mac

3. Ensure the Apple TV is connected to your Mac.

4. Using the included remote, press and hold MENU + Play/Pause for 6 seconds until the indicator light begins flashing rapidly.

6. Select the tvOS beta software restore image from step 1 and click Open to begin installation.

Hi I am stuck in "Waiting for AppleTV" this is the 5 time I have tried and this is as far as i get.

Looks like the answer is "Don't use the Update Software button"!

Thanks.

...R

Try steps:

0. connect to your Mac
1. unplug HDMI
2. unplag power cord

3. plag-in power cord back

4. press and hold MENU + Play/Pause for 6 seconds until the indicator light begins flashing rapidly.

Works for me

Using iTunes AND disconnecting the HDMI cable worked for me - thanks all!

Did the trick for me

It seems like there are several problems with this update. Besides the documentation has been removed from the Apple tvOS download page, it's like Apple is working to fix it someway. I would wait for a more stable and officially documented procedure before attempting any of the solutions proposed in this thread.

Old post I see but I’m having the same problem.

Now I’m having a box that just blinks and doesn’t respond the remote. I have the model without an usb port so what to do ?

Apple support was so “kind” to offer a fix for 175$ 😱 I can buy a new one for that price