Apple's own web-site with GM - possible bug

Hi,

I'm getting some really strage things when opening the iPad Pro section on Apple's web-site.

My whole computer grinds to a halt, rather like it's working 150% to get things done - CPU usage is normal and there is no indicated increase in temperature.

Can you try going to the iPad page, then clicking on the iPad PRO, want to check that this is not just me but is a bug before raising a report on the bugreporter.

Thanks

Tim

Replies

I must admit when on Yosemite and the graphics switching disabled, I could manage an uptime of 2 weeks (between beta builds), with graphics switching enabled I was getting a crash every day, it seemed to be on certain web-sites which had flash adverts etc.

10.11 since beta 6 has been **** of a lot better, been able to get to a week, sometimes it hasn't crashed between beta upgrades - had the GM build crash on day 2, but it's been reliable since.

12:41 up 2 days, 9:13, 3 users, load averages: 1.44 1.63 1.63

Hopefully the crash on GM was an anomaly for you then.

As well as having switching disabled, I'm in the habit of restarting everything once a week, so I can't offer any comparable stats. I've had a very smooth run during these betas though (but perhaps my perspective is skewed by reading the variety of issues people report here).

I'm of the belief that machines shouldn't be restarted, only for system updates.

I guess it comes back to my old days of having "uptime" competitions with Linux and Windows users - managed 132 days at one point before a system update (think it was 10.6).

I just like the idea of being able to shut the lid and know that it's going to be available 100% when I open it, without crashing.

Hopefully the GM crash was a one off - could have been a SMC error left from the Beta 8 built, I have reset it once it crashed so lets see.

Well that's an impressive record! 🙂

My workflow demands I prioritise system speed and reliability, and so I consider restarting to be a concession to inevitable tmp file buildups, memory leaks etc.

Anyway, here's to a stable El Capitan ::raises glass::

I'll drink to that! Been a long time apple user, Yosemtie was the worst OS I've ever experienced on new hardware for crashes.

Let's really hope that 10.11 is the one to fix all the bugs, and return Apple back to the reputation it has for reliable and quality products.

Butting in. 😐

I wanted to say on my 2015 MacBook and the most recent Macbook Air, I've never had Yosemite crash. Maybe it's just Macs with dual GPU's that had an issue. I also have some iMacs going back to Late 2012 and they never crashed either. just saying. 🙂

I think you could be right - it's definately the graphics switching that's causing the issue, and the hard freeze.

Incidently, I had another one a couple of hours ago - so have installed a fresh, from USB 10.11 GM build, lets see what happens and if it stops crashing.

Got to love Time Machine and iCloud for restoring.

I basically go into the time-machine backup and only copy the documents over, that way the system is as fresh as it can be!