tvOS Simulator?

Hello! I just finished downloading Xcode 7.1 Beta, and when attempting to run a sample project it tells me that "No supported tvOS devices are available. Connect a device to run your application or choose a simulated device as the destination.". However, I am not able to select the simulator to build in as it is just not present.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or am I just not looking in the correct location to set my simulator.

Also, upon attempting to open the simulator in 7.1 at all it just crashes and gives me an error. I am currently on 10.10.4 on my Mac Pro. Do I need to be on El Capitan?

Accepted Reply

Looks like when I was compiling something it made libiconv outdated. Luckally I had a backup. Restoring that fixed it.

Replies

The problem will likely be a single .plist somewhere. Given time, someone will probably turn it up. My process allows for scrubbing things clean like I described, but I shouldn't have assumed that the same would be true for you. I suggest that you simply move the system files somewhere else and keep track of what you've moved where for now.

You can post the crash report if you like, but I'm going to bed in a minute (it's 4:30am for me 🙂)

Here is the Crash Report: https://gist.github.com/OstlerDev/2edf1ce4d12502dd0bf1

Looks like when I was compiling something it made libiconv outdated. Luckally I had a backup. Restoring that fixed it.

Is there any report in the Console about this Problem? Because actually I can't reproduce the problem.

How can I simulate gesture in touchpad? Do you need trackpad? I have magic mouse.

Thanks.

Same here. Can run DemoBots in an AppleTV 1080p simulator no problem. But when adding a new scheme and target to an existing app, the AppleTV simulator does not appear next to the scheme as a destination. Just a "Build Only" "Generic tvOS Device" that you can't run anything on (when you try you just get a error dialog: "A build only device cannot be used to run this target. No supported tvOS devices are available...".

However the AppleTV 1080p simulator can still be seen in Window->Devices

Guys,

I found a workaround for the missing simulator in existing apps that you add a TVOS target to.

Close your project in Xcode.

Right click on your .xcodeproj file and Show Contents

Then open the project.pbxproj file in a text editor.

Search for XCBuildConfiguration

Find your TVOS target there (should have SDKROOT = appletvos)

For each Debug/Release/etc, change

TARGETED_DEVICE_FAMILY = "1,2";

to

TARGETED_DEVICE_FAMILY = 3;

Save project.pbxproj, then open your project in Xcode as normal.

AppleTV 1080p simulator should now appear in the drop down.

Hope that helps someone

Which version of OS X do you have installed?

How did you detect this and fix it? thanks.

This works, though you can also just change the settings mentioned above in your build settings dropdowns. You may need to restart Xcode to get it to take effect.