How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
238k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

I'll join in and say it's been happening on my M1 Max 16-inch MacBook Pro too. The issue started happening around December 2021, and I pretty much always have to restart my laptop as a countermeasure. The issue always comes back after about 7-9 days.

The issue still exists on macOS 12.5.

• I've been trying to make some noise, but online magazines don't think it's an issue, if you can, please spread the word.

Add a Comment

On a similar note, my Mac Studio M1 Max is now randomly disconnecting ethernet when using cable. It's the only computer in the whole office with this issue, checking the router, it shows no reason for this to happen in the logs. This ALSO happened on my previous Mac Mini 2018 (T1 chipset) which also had this sound issue. So something is definitely wrong with how T1/T2 chipsets handle IO/Network.

MB pro M1 pro, 16 GB, macOS 13 Ventura Beta 4, problem is still there.

• Why isn't this being talked about, it's a HUGE issue! Why don't magazines or news outlets talk about it? What's going on!

• This is a very bad news

Add a Comment

Well, maybe it's time for a class-action lawsuit... Apple refuses to make a statement on any channel about this and they don't seem to work on it either... Those are expensive MULTIMEDIA devices WITH AUDIO CRACKLINGS! *** Apple.

• Highly doubt they will give 2-cent on a lawsuit, it needs to hurt their image, reputation and wallet and only media attention will do that.

• What can we do ? genius bar says hardware is ok, and doesn’t really care about the issue. Only suggesting to reinstall macOS

Add a Comment

I have a REALLY interesting development. My network connection kept dropping now and then, I use a high-end Mikrotik Router. So instead of buying a new one, I switch RouterOS to OpenWRT on it and lo and behold, the network never disconnects any more - HOWEVER, it ALSO fixed the sound popping and crackling issue! It's TRULY GONE!

It seems that streaming media causes this issue to build up over time, some issue with the way MacOS handles media over the network.

This is why this issue followed me through Mac Mini, Mac Studio and Macbook Pro, because I always used the same router.

Please try with a different router (Or switch router OS) and see if this fixes it for you too and hopefully, Apple will see this and fix the issue!

• Do you use it on wifi or lan?

• I tried both and now both of them work, with no audio popping or crackling (+24 hours)

• The issue is not related to network at all. I can hear audio popping even during playback of local audio/video files. It 150% related to bug in coraudiod service (or in MacOS core). You can find error messages from console app in other comments and they definitely linked to problems with memory management (coreaudiod trying to put some data in memory but for some reason unable to do it when there are no free memory and system uses swap file actively).

I've had the M1 Max 64 for a few months without a hiccup running lots of plugins like Spitfire, Cherry Audio, Arturia, etc, between two or more DAW's. Suddenly, I'm getting all kinds of popping, clicking or volume jumps in my main two DAWs.

I've tried different configurations of buffers and sample rates within the DAW's as well as changing settings within Apple's Audio options, (Speakers at 44,000Khz, 48,000 Khz, etc) to no avail. I've tested the output with headphones, external speakers and the laptop speakers themselves. They all do it. That tells me it's coming from Apple's side.

Considering this is relatively new since my purchase a few months ago, I'm perplexed as to what could be causing it. Was there a quiet update in the background? Can't say. But Apple really needs to get on this. Between the Apple products and third party products, I've put out a lot of money to get my studio up and running. Right now, I cannot deliver any product and I'm losing money.

Apple, please respond and at least give us some kind of insight.

• Can you please try with a different (MODERN) router? It's the only thing that permanently fixed this in our office for all Macs. (There is something that triggers this when any media is played over a stream and it can be any online sound, even video) When we switched out the main router, the problem disappeared forever.

Add a Comment

Is Apple going to do anything about this? I have 3 different 2019 16” and EVERY ONE of them has this same issue. Shouldn’t this be a recall issue like the keyboards? How call Apple keep expecting me to pay $4k+ for computers that have flaws. At least they fixed my keyboards for free, but that’s the exact reason I switched to the 16” models for me and my employees. Now this. Very disappointing. And of course, happens right after Apple Care+ expired. Planned obsolescence?

• Can you please try with a different (MODERN) router? It's the only thing that permanently fixed this in our office for all Macs. (There is something that triggers this when any media is played over a stream and it can be any online sound, even video) When we switched out the main router, the problem disappeared forever.

Add a Comment

More of the same, apple promises a solution, to crackling speakers, when I spoke with senior adviser few weeks ago they said the engineering dept is aware of the problem and to give it a week, here we are few weeks later, still no fix, we currently have 44 2019 16” MacBook pros in our office, out of the 44 units 7 of them have speakers that pop and crackle, making them not usable for conferencing and teams / zoom / etc, video play back, music files are also distorted, apple is aware of the problem, yet they do nothing, software update isn’t going to fix problem, there is a short on the logic boards Problem seems to be the right speaker that fails, atkeast in all of ours since speakers are glued in, can’t just swap them out, we replaced the top cause on one of them, brand new speakers, keyboard battery touchbar etc. surprise it didn’t help fix the issue, waisted $400 for a repair that was never going to work, we also have 5 units that have sleep wake issue, close the lid or let MacBook sleep, and they crash, apple is also aware of this issue but once again do nothing.

please release a repair program for thiese issue, on the 2019 16”inwould hate to go back to windows or chrome books, but as a business owner can’t afford to replace $3000 MacBooks after only a year or 2 of use, we went with the 16” pro because staingate and keyboard issues were resolved, in this model although they still get staingate but it’s not as bad as the 2014 models main issue is the known crap logicboard apple refuses to fix

Add a Comment

Just experienced this crackling yesterday, and I tried all the solutions I saw online. It was only until I removed apps like Mac Keeper and such that the sound disappeared, I'm not too sure if it's permanently gone but we shall see.

• Did you try with a different router? It's the only permanent fix that worked in our office with multiple different Macs, all with the same audio issue. It's triggered when streaming audio/video over an older router, we're able to reproduce the problem with the faulty router.

Removing or closing Intel apps only makes it occur less often (like every 2-hours or so).

Add a Comment

It's really really really bothering me now!! I don't seem to get the crackles much now, it seems like coreaudiod is auto resetting itself though. It's extra annoying because every time this happens (probably every 10 minutes or even less) my volume level resets to a very low volume. It's making this £2300 machine practically useless for my day to day work!!!!!!

Apple, we pay you big money for your products so we don't have to deal with these insanely stupid bugs. It was first reported 2 YEARS ago for goodness sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• It was reported 5 years ago by me, many many times.

Can you please try with a different (modern) router and see if that helps?

Can you also try:

Download some local music.Disable all network devices.Restart the Mac.Then play the local music and see if it still happens?

See my comments above, I'm 100% certain that it's triggered by streaming audio/media over the network.

Add a Comment

Everyone should submit bug feedback here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

• I've sent MANY there, it's been +5 years and it keep getting ignored.

• Done

Add a Comment

Couldn't we imagine a command that lists our installed applications and that we would share to see if there are obvious similarities ? I know, it's lame... but I don't have any more ideas so that this problem doesn't end up driving me crazy!

We must have some common points ! since it's been happening to people for several years (and it doesn't happen to everyone)

This worked for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGD9sd_sih4

Mine was still cracking and popping on 48,000 Hz, so I knocked it down to 44,100 Hz and working fine so far.

• it temporarily solves the problem it will come back. you will tell us ... please.

Add a Comment

I have been hearing audio crackling under a couple different conditions:

• When RAM usage is high. I usually experience this when a heavy YouTube livestream is open in a Microsoft Edge tab, or generally when many tabs are active. All audio playback is affected: YouTube videos in Edge/Safari, Spotify, local audio files, etc. The crackling occurs though the laptop speakers, Bluetooth earbuds, and through an audio interface, though with the latter two it sounds less like a crackle and more like a brief stutter/click during audio playback. No idea if RAM is the actual cause, but the observation is that when the crackling does occur, RAM usage is usually up there (memory pressure in the yellow or upper green region).
  • When my digital audio workstation, FL Studio, is running. Interestingly, RAM usage does not have to be high for crackling to happen when listening to sources outside of the DAW. Audio within FL Studio, however, sounds generally wonderful and free of crackles. My guess (as a layman in this area) is that FL Studio hogs most of the audio buffer — as it rightfully should, to keep music production free of interruptions. The same behaviour seems to happen with Ableton Live 11 Lite, though I haven't used it as much as FL Studio.

System: 14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16 GB RAM.

Changing the sample rate in Audio MIDI Setup doesn't seem to work, and if anything worsens the crackling. I have not tried disabling the Core Audio service and don't intend to — I don't completely understand what the consequences of doing so might be, and anyway it sounds like only a temporary fix.

@tmikaeld's post looks like an interesting update to this topic. Since I don't have another router handy, I might do some tests at a coffee shop?

• Please let me know if it works, you can also try the offline variant: - Download some local music. - Disable all network devices. - Restart the Mac. - Then play the local music and see if it still happens? On my end it never happens any more, after switching the router OS (I also bought a new router, none have the issues)

• Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be sure to update once I find some time to troubleshoot.

Add a Comment

Adding my name to the list. This issue just started happening to my MacBook Air M1. I've tried all the fixes listed in all 19 pages of this thread and none of them have stopped it for more than a few minutes. Any set of headphones I plug into my headphone jack "click" every second or so intermittently while doing anything audio such as streaming youtube, using Unity3D, Unreal Engine or Ableton 11. It is literally maddening to the point where I am going to hook up my old PC to get work done.

Model Name: MacBook Air

Model Identifier: MacBookAir10,1

Chip: Apple M1

Total Number of Cores: 8 (4 performance and 4 efficiency)

Memory: 16 GB

System Firmware Version: 7459.141.1

• Did you try switching the router to a modern one? Or try it offline? Download some local music. - Disable all network devices. - Restart the Mac. - Then play the local music and see if it still happens? On my end it never happens any more, after switching the router OS (I also bought a new router, also clean, if i switch band to my old router it's back)

Add a Comment