How to Fix Cracking and Popping Sound ?

Hello, is it anyone here ( or on this planet ) that can help with this issue on Catalina Mac OS 10.15.5 Beta 3 (19F72f).

I am using MacBook Pro 16 inches. 😟

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of JoyGlory Down vote post of JoyGlory
238k views
  • Same issue but with a new iMac 10-core i9....running Big Sur 11.6.1. I don't seem to have CoreAudio in my Activity Monitor to close and restart as others have recommended.

• I have the same issue after upgrading to Monterey 12.0.1. The sound continuously cracking both for output and input streams. I'm on Macbook Pro 13` 2015 (i5 2.9).

• Running Big Sur (v 11.6.2) on an MacBook Pro (13" | 2019) -- making sure that the ONLY application running is the one that you need/want to get audio from (in my case using Chrome)... so I had to quit FireFox, and Zoom applications and BOOM!!!! All of the choppy-ness is GONE and audio sounds WAAAAY better.... so, thanks to those who mentioned quitting other applications to fix this annoying problem!!!!

Replies

I can't take it anymore, it's pathetic. I have to reboot regularly a 3000 euros professional machine from a company that makes both hardware and software because i have buzzing/clicking sounds in my headphones or speakers connected to a proper amplifier.

Nowadays it comes to a point when I have it connected to my monitor with usb-c, even from scrolling or loading some pages on browser make the buzzing sound appears all the damn time. I hate it. I don't live to a country with an Apple store, nobody will take this to give me a new one here, but it's not uncommon as far I see here or on reddit.

Absolutely insane, a shame. My 4y old 850 euros Xiaomi hobbist hackintosh, experimenting as student without much money, had clearer audio output.

I got a reply on my submittion at Feedback Assistant, I replied back sending a .ktrace file but I haven't heard back for whole 2 months. Rip. We may hope that new os version update will fix it but I doubt at this point.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of tdvr Down vote reply of tdvr
  • Any news you got from them?

Add a Comment

For anyone that is still looking for a fix for this - on my new Macbook 14" M1 Pro the solution was the following:

• Open up a terminal window
cd /Library/Preferences/Audio
sudo rm com.apple.audio.*
  • Breath easy and listen to music without annoying AF pops and crackles
  • Hoped it would fix the problem, but it persists on my 14'' M1 Pro.

• It will not resolve the problem persistently. It worked for me for hour or something like that. The problem is much deeper - errors in console tells that it can be related to firmware/OS core.

Add a Comment

I have this issue!

My Mac is few months old and it just started yesterday! Why does this happen? First time was on YouTube, I and was 100% sure, that my 6.000$+ laptop didn't make this sound, I went a little back in the video - and thank god it was still there - then I tried going back again, just to be sure - and now NO SOUNDS!!! What the danm Apple! I think it is when the machine is under heavy load, but yeah this laptop Apple M1 Max with full specs, so expensive - but I was sure I wouldn't do such a thing!

• I think it's time for a class action lawsuit. There's no way in h@ll we should pay almost 4k for a machine that is advertised towards musicians and artists and we cannot even use it due to this issue. On my 2016 model I could have over 40 tracks in a single song with ZERO issue. Now this new, twice the price machine cannot handle more than 10 before popping and slowing down. Ridiculous.

Add a Comment

Are you serious Apple. No feedback about this? We are like 100.000 people that buyed a 2k laptop (around 200M euros), with this issue and no one feedback or answer? #Apple @Apple #Support @Support

The actual problem is right here:

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to do anything about it - if you do, please tell me what to gather of other informations!

default	00:52:29.068202+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 1, start: 0x4ed87457e7, duration: 0x57, fault address: 0x170a60000, fault pc: 0x1071a6e94, faulting TID: 0x22161, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.068643+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 2, start: 0x4ef420a99d, duration: 0x67, fault address: 0x170ae8000, fault pc: 0x1071f3ae4, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.068830+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 3, start: 0x4ef420aa27, duration: 0x19, fault address: 0x170aec000, fault pc: 0x1071a6e94, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.069006+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 4, start: 0x4f0fe02c13, duration: 0x1b6, fault address: 0x131830000, fault pc: 0x184f7ae8c, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.069175+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 5, start: 0x4f0fe02df9, duration: 0x3f, fault address: 0x131834000, fault pc: 0x184f7ae8c, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.069413+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 6, start: 0x4f1946d84f, duration: 0x21d, fault address: 0x131838000, fault pc: 0x184f7ae8c, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

default	00:52:29.069598+0200	coreaudiod	 index: 7, start: 0x4f1946dac1, duration: 0x53, fault address: 0x13183c000, fault pc: 0x184f7ae8c, faulting TID: 0x22166, fault type: 0x1, PID: 0x1829

error	00:52:29.069854+0200	coreaudiod	  3331         HALS_OverloadMessage.cpp:218   HALS_OverloadMessage: Overload due to HAL client proc exceeding io cycle budget

default	00:52:29.074139+0200	coreaudiod	 Audio IO Overload thread: 22166 inputs: '<private>' outputs: '<private>' cause: 'Unknown' prewarming: no recovering: no

default	00:52:29.074431+0200	coreaudiod	     CAReportingClient.mm:508   message {

"HAL_client_IO_duration" = 32055166;

HostApplicationDisplayID = "com.ColossalOrder.CitiesSkylines";

cause = ClientHALIODurationExceededBudget;

deadline = 3541862;

"input_device_source_list" = "";

"input_device_transport_list" = "";

"input_device_uid_list" = "";

"io_buffer_size" = 1024;

"io_cycle" = 112;

"io_cycle_budget" = 21354125;

"io_page_faults" = 0;

"is_prewarming" = 0;

"is_recovering" = 0;

"issue_type" = overload;

lateness = 557;

"other_page_faults" = 8;

"output_device_source_list" = "Internal Speaker";

"output_device_transport_list" = BuiltIn;

"output_device_uid_list" = BuiltInSpeakerDevice;

"safety_violation" = 1;

"sample_rate" = 48000;

"scheduler_latency" = 18083;

"smallest_buffer_frame_size" = 512;

}: (

)
  • I have the exact same error !! But on Ableton every time I hear a pop.

Add a Comment

I have the same problem with sound with pro 14 m1 16 512, very annoying. I think it's a software issue with OS, #Apple @Apple #Support @Support investigate this plz.

From my side, since last macOS update, and since I have deleted this

sudo rm com.apple.audio.*

and staying careful to not have "any" intel process, I feel like it's a bit better.

Each time I got crackling I had a Intel process type in the list (like Loom, Skitch, etc.)

Can some ones of you confirm you all have always active these 2 onces as Intel process ? :

• Core Audio Driver (Speaker Audio Recorder.driver)
  • CarbonComponentScannerXPC

Same problem with 14" MacBook Pro (M1 Pro). It seems that the sound experience starts degrading quickly after a reboot. I'm a developer and I can clearly see that launching a java or node process impacts negatively. First my USB DAC (FiiO K3) starts getting sound cuts. Then my Kanto TUK (connected via USB as well) start to crack some hours after. Then even the sound directly from the mac is getting impacted.

This has been happening for months, and no fix seems to be available. Restarting coreaudiod doesn't fix much, it starts happening again quickly.

All this equipment works FLAWLESSLY on my Windows desktop. This is rather annoying since the laptop is three times more expensive. Also, image retention problems in my external screen that doesn't happen on my desktop. Clearly the OS needs some polish in these areas.

• Damn.. this is exactly what's happening in my case. I have the same Mac that you have and also the Fiio K3. And Same thing..getting sound cuts. I am so irritated! *** are you doing Apple ? I had the M1 Macbook Air, and with it worked fine! ***..

Add a Comment

Having same issue on my new Macbook Pro 16" 2021. It's very annoying! Neither killing coreaudio, nor changing bit rate or deleting com.apple.audio.* files helped me. Stopping all intel processes not helping neither. Have MacOs Monterey 12.3.1. When using my AirPods Pro can hear sound cracking too. :( What other solutions can be helpful?? Please assist.

• There seem to be no solutions except not to run other apps while listening to music. The only real solution is for Apple to fix their shit.

Add a Comment

Same problem with my MBP 2021 16". And with my previous MBP 2019, whose right speaker started to crack instantly as completely broken :(

• Same here, I had a 2019 MBP 16" and now have a 2021 MBP 16", both had this problem. It's one of the reasons I upgraded and it seems it wasn't fixed!

Add a Comment

Hi ,

I have the same damn problem for long time with 16" macbook pro 2019. Just like everyone else here, I am very angry at apple because they haven't fix this since decades. Other than that, the solution that worked for me for some time is the command below. I suggest everyone to try this. It doesn't fix it permanently but it is easy to do

sudo launchctl stop com.apple.audio.coreaudiod && sudo launchctl start com.apple.audio.coreaudiod

Ok, after a few weeks of playing around, I am convinced that this is related to memory pressure somehow. I no longer need to restart to eliminate the problem.

Whenever I get the distortions, I open the Memory tab in the Activity Monitor and sort the processes by memory used. I close/restart the apps that are top users of the memory until the memory pressure is back in the green. This resolves all the distortions until the memory climbs back to orange which will happen as quickly as you make it to.

Now I have to micro-manage my f****** memory like in the olden days.

I regret downgrading from 32gb ram to 16gb so much right now. Thanks to all the damn influencers praising how good the memory management of the new chip is.

• This isn’t the fault of 16gb ram. This is 100% faulty firmware or software code.

• I think you might be right on the memory pressure thing. (Although I always thought that MacOS tried to load as much into memory as possible). I also wish I'd gone for the 32GB now, but regardless, a nearly £3000 computer should not have this problem. What's it going to take for Apple to even acknowledge that it's still an issue?

• I don't think it's so easy. I have 32Gb on mine and still have to reboot every day to fix the problem. I think it's process related to, some Java / Node processes impact it more, but there's a point of no return I'd say, when even if I close everything, I have to reboot to get it back to normal.

Add a Comment

It would be more than great if someone is/could testing/test the new beta of Ventura for some hours/days and tell us his results if he still experience the same problems.

I appreciate it!

Same issue with the macbook pro 2021 16 inch. For some time I had only issue listening to spotify, but now it happens with all sound sources

Is there any Apple's developer here?

Using expensive headphones, crystal clear with other devices, how can I have buzzing sound when I move my cursor above PhpStorm or when I scroll on Firefox????? How is that POSSIBLE?!

It goes away after rebooting, and it doesn't start for a while. So it has to be software issue as it has been said thousands times above.

Pls, fix this on new Ventura, I can't mention how terrible it is. 3000 euros machine, Jesus Christ.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of tdvr Down vote reply of tdvr