ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage (New vs. Updates)

Hi there,

Our dev team is continually getting these strong warning messages whenever we submit an app to the Appstore.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will no longer accept submissions of new apps that use UIWebView as of April 30, 2020 and app updates that use UIWebView as of December 2020. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview).

This concerns me as we are almost at the end of the April. I'd like to know the extent of this.

What is the difference between 'new apps' and 'app updates'. My understanding is that NEW APPS means new apps that are submitted to the ap store with a new bundle idm ew SKU, and new Apple ID. This flow will not accept submissions of new apps that use UIWebView as of April 30, 2020.

"App updates" assume that an app already exists in the app store (with a Bundle ID, SKU, Apple ID), and so updates (new builds to this app) wil be allowed up the December 2020.

Please clarify.

Replies

I have the same issue, any solution?
I have uploaded my app to Appstore on 17th Aug and it is uploaded successfully .But Today i am getting the error for releasing an Update.
"New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability. Learn more"
I am using Nativescript to build apps & it uses WKWebview only
In all instances I’m aware of, apps that are getting the UIWebView usage warning are in fact linking to the UIWebView framework. It may be in third party libraries or frameworks. 

Please check again what your app and its libraries link against. You can do so by running the grep command in Terminal. For example,
Open Terminal. Type the following on the command line to change to the directory where your application binary is:

Code Block
cd ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/Archives/<date of your archive>/<your archive>

To search for UIWebView use the following command:

Code Block
grep -R UIWebView *

This should give you a list of files that contain a reference to UIWebView. From that list you should then be able to determine where the UIWebView reference is.

To make this a bit more concrete, the other day I created a test app named SingleViewApp and archived it, so this is what I did to check for the UIWebView:

Code Block
% cd ~/Library/Developer/Xcode/Archives/
% ls
2019-08-26 2020-03-09
% cd 2020-03-09 
% ls
SingleViewApp 3-9-20, 11.38 AM.xcarchive SingleViewApp 3-9-20, 11.41 AM.xcarchive
SingleViewApp 3-9-20, 11.39 AM.xcarchive SingleViewApp 3-9-20, 11.47 AM.xcarchive
% cd "SingleViewApp 3-9-20, 11.47 AM.xcarchive"
% grep -R UIWebView *
Binary file Products/Applications/SingleViewApp.app/Base.lproj/Main.storyboardc/BYZ-38-t0r-view-8bC-Xf-vdC.nib matches
Binary file dSYMs/SingleViewApp.app.dSYM/Contents/Resources/DWARF/SingleViewApp matches

So we now know that there are references to UIWebView in the dSYM file and the nib.

Next we need to search the project for where the occurrences of the UIWebView exist.

Go to the folder where your project lives. In my case it was here:

Code Block
cd ~/src/SingleViewApp

Now run the same grep command for UIWebView to determine if there are any occurrences in the project:

Code Block
grep -R UIWebView *

In my case there weren't which means it’s not referenced in code.

Now run a search for UIWebView that will show up in storyboards by running this search:

Code Block
grep -R webView *

In my case that returns the following results:

SingleViewApp/Base.lproj/Main.storyboard: <webView contentMode="scaleToFill" fixedFrame="YES" translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints="NO" id="xsA-nw-Njb">

SingleViewApp/Base.lproj/Main.storyboard: </webView>

This tells us that the Main storyboard has a UIWebView in it.

Copy the id of the storyboard object, in this case it’s: 

xsA-nw-Njb

And in Xcode perform a project-wide search for that value by going to Find > Find In Project… and searching for the storyboard ID.

In the returned results, click on the ID and it will take you to the specific scene in the storyboard that contains the UIWebView.

Hope this helps.
i have the same issue,
already updated the library and checked using
grep -R UIWebView *
but problem still persist
I have removed UIWebview but still facing the same issue is there any solution?