Does the copyright name on your app have to be a registered entity?

i'm uploading a new app as an independent developer and my legal name will appear as the seller. But, for the copyright name that will also be on the game's page, does that name have to be a registered entity? Like if just wanted to put a brand name as the copyright, could I??

I'm asking cause I see many apps that are uploaded by an independent developer, yet have brand names as the copyright.

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

>not even having anything pending at all.

That was your take-away from my reply?

It doesn't seem to matter whether it reflects reality or not, in fact, it might be evidence of prior use if you decide to go full legal later. No one will know but you, me and the internet. Go for it.

Replies

>yet have brand names as the copyright.

Just placeholders, I think, but if you're asking do you need to directly evidence such a claim as part of a submittal, I don't believe you do. Seems to be a convenience for those that have a pending claim running in parallel.

Just be sure to CYA should you ever decide to attach one later and you don't come up out of sync, etc.

Here's some law regarding copyrights, trademarks and registration:

You can't copyright a name or a simple phrase.

You can copyright a written work and a software program.

You do not need to register the copyright until you wish to assert it against someone but registering enhances your claim to copyright and your damages.

You can trademark a name or a simple phrase by using it publicly in association with your product or service.

You do not need to register the trademark until you wish to assert it against someone else but registering enhances your claim to trademark and your damages.

Reserving some name on Apple's App Store Connect will not help with a trademark claim because a trademark claim requires that you use it publicly. If you reserve a name that someone else then uses publicly and they thereby establish a trademark, Apple should require that you release that name to the rightful trademark owner.