Issues with Files App in IOS 13 simulator, can't copy files into App directory (which worked fine in IOS 12.4.1)

I have an app that lets users copy files into it's document directory for the app to import and worked fine in IOS 12.4.1 for IPad. It has both necessary permissioning keys set

<key>LSRequiresIPhoneOS</key>

<true/>

<key>LSSupportsOpeningDocumentsInPlace</key>

<true/>

Unfortunately on the IPad simulator in IOS 13.1, it doesn't allow Apple's Files app to copy files into the directory (giving the dialog warning "The Operation can't be completed. Couldn't communicate with a helper application.") and fails when trying to export files out, with the error:

[DocumentManager] Failed to create FPSandboxingURLWrapper for file:///Users/ronkashden/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/9CF7F5C0-7399-4595-A974-BD2D99DFBEDF/data/Containers/Data/Application/C07A1ED6-9849-4DC5-B404-2EE387D57CBA/Library/Application%20Support/investmentAppDB.sqlite. Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "couldn't issue sandbox extension com.apple.app-sandbox.read for '/Users/ronkashden/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/9CF7F5C0-7399-4595-A974-BD2D99DFBEDF/data/Containers/Data/Application/C07A1ED6-9849-4DC5-B404-2EE387D57CBA/Library/Application Support/investmentAppDB.sqlite': Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSDescription=couldn't issue sandbox extension com.apple.app-sandbox.read for '/Users/ronkashden/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Devices/9CF7F5C0-7399-4595-A974-BD2D99DFBEDF/data/Containers/Data/Application/C07A1ED6-9849-4DC5-B404-2EE387D57CBA/Library/Application Support/investmentAppDB.sqlite': Invalid argument}

Unfortunately on the IPad simulator in IOS 13.1, it doesn't allow Apple's Files app to copy files into the directory

Is this just on the simulator? Or does it affect real devices as well?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Hi, fortunately it's just the simulator. I'll just use a physical IPad when I want/need to test that functionality. Thanks for the response.

fortunately it's just the simulator. I'll just use a physical IPad when I want/need to test that functionality.

OK, cool. Don’t forget to file a bug against the simulator here, especially as this seems like a regression. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"
We have started experiencing this bug on real devices since iOS 14.4

We are trying to export a zip file to the Files App, and get the same logs as above, except the reason is given as "not a directory"

If we export via something like Airdrop, the export completes

But when a user selects the files app, the dialog to the Files app allowing you to choose the location to export to say "0 Items" at the top, where we used to expect to see the file being exported
Issues with Files App in IOS 13 simulator, can't copy files into App directory (which worked fine in IOS 12.4.1)

Q