Photos App "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState"

I updated to the newest Catalina public beta build on 2 different machines. On one of them the app was working but on my MBP everytime i open it i get this is error: PHPhotosErrorInvalidState

any suggestions?

• why is still an issue in 2021? Upgraded to Big Sur 11.5.2 and it wipe out my Photo library with this "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState"

• I have my photo libraries on an external SSD connected via USB to my IMac Big Sure 11.5.2. I downloaded the images from an iPhone 11 on a newly created library on my SSD via iMac. At the end, while checking the outcome I got PHPPhotoserror... and the 2 other old libraries could't be opened displaying error 4302. However connecting the same SSD to an iMac mini and to an iMac 12" Pro, the 3 libraries were accessible. I imagine something went wrong on the iMac but I've no idea of what to do. Can somebody helps?

Add a Comment

Replies

Duplicate issue here. I attmepted Photos app repair and "make new library, set that as system, switch back, repair again" method but didn't work for me. Thankfully I only do photos app through my iPhone so if I need to re-download everything to my 12 inch MacBook it wouldn't be a big deal, but still a bit concerning I can't enable Photos in Catalina. It is greyed out in the iCloud setting of the Apple ID menu in System Preferences. Hopefully there will be an update to address this.

Exact same issue here.

After installing macOS 10.15 Catalina Photos throws error PHPhotosErrorInvalidState in a dialog window upon upgrading laibrary. After klicking OK in the app quits.

Filed a bug using the Feedback Assistant (2019-08-08).

In Console i managed to get a longer description of the error It reads as follows:

Failed to open/create library at: '/Users/Sven/Pictures/Bilder Library SvenMaster.photoslibrary'
error: Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=4302 "PHPhotosErrorInvalidState" 
UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=PHPhotosErrorInvalidState, currentState=error, 
NSUnderlyingError=0x600002776910 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=43002 "(null)" 
UserInfo={currentState=error, NSUnderlyingError=0x600002776be0 
{Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4097 "connection to service on pid 1908 named com.apple.Photos.Migration" 
UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=connection to service on pid 1908 named com.apple.Photos.Migration}}}}}

I do not understand the error message or what it means.

Completed troubleshooting:

1. removed library and created new one. The new library works.
  2. removed new (working library)
  3. put back the old library. Same issue.
  4. Repaired library (CMD+ALT upon opening app). Issue persists.
  5. Ran First Aid on disk from Recovery OS. Same issue.

Will try to remove faulty library and copy the same library from Time Machine backup.

My library was not in the '~/Photos/' when i upgraded to Catalina. It was in another folder for reasons.

Sand issue for me. All my data is on the cloud and my iOS photo libraries seem fine.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Of course, what you could do is to "show package" on the library file and extract the originals therefrom and then import them to a newely created Photos library.

But that is not what I want since then I'll loose the library's structure.

Same issue here.

The following procedure worked for me:

1. Open "Activity Monitoring" (alternatively "top" command in the Terminal)

2. Look for "Photo" in the Search bar (top-right corner)

3. Select all the processes that result from the search

4. Kill the processes (using the top-left corner icon "X")

The basic idea is to stop every running process involving Photos app. The same could be done - in principle - using the Pid (process Id) shown in the Log file produced by the error (as the one shown in the @svaenus previous post).

Hope it would be somehow helpful.

• That actually resolved the issue I had with the Photos app, whereby it wouldn't let me add new faces, mark faces as incorrectly assigned or even rebuild the photos library. Thanks for suggesting this.

Add a Comment

Thank you!

Nice one! @szingaro

I did not test the steps you proposed myself.

The macOS 10.15 Beta 6 fixed my library.

• I have my photo libraries on an external SSD connected via USB to my IMac Big Sure 11.5.2. I downloaded the images from an iPhone 11 on a newly created library on my SSD via iMac. At the end, while checking the outcome I got PHPPhotoserror... and the 2 other old libraries could't be opened displaying error 4302. However connecting the same SSD to an iMac mini and to an iMac 12" Pro, the 3 libraries were accessible. I imagine something went wrong on the iMac but I've no idea of what to do. Can somebody helps?

Add a Comment

Necesito ayuda con pinterest