App rejected - violating 3.1.1

Hello,

we have an app with outdoor escape games, where you are using your phone to guide you through the city and solve some riddles. We have both iOS and Android.

In order to play the game, you need to purchase it. There are multiple options, where you can purchase the game:

- on our website - after purchase, you will get a code which will be entered into the app to unlock the purchased game

- in the app - we are right now not using In app purchases but a separate 3rd party solution

- through some 3rd party websites - you will purchase a voucher with specific code, which can be also entered into the app

Now we got rejected the last version of the app with a note:

Guideline 3.1.1 - Business - Payments - In-App Purchase

Your app unlocks or enables additional functionality with mechanisms such as promo codes, data transfer codes, license keys, augmented reality markers, or QR codes, which is not appropriate for the App Store.

Specifically, your app allows users to unlock additional content by purchasing a code.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please remove this feature from your app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So not the 3rd party solution for purchasing the game in the app is the problem, but the system of codes to unlock the game is. But in the Guidelines, I found this section

3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired elsewhere, including consumable items in multi-platform games, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.

So the question is, do we satisfy section 3.1.3(b). And if so, can we have some way, how to unlock the game by entering the code directly in the app (otherwise a user have to log in to the website at first and then to the app, which will be not very user-friendly).

Thank you

Replies

Only Apple can tell you whether or not you are in violation of App Store guidelines. I can give you my opinion, but my opinion will have no value as far as App Review is concerned.

To me, it looks like you are clearly, blatantly even, in violation of 3.1.3(b). Furthermore, neither of the solutions you have proposed will work.

It is a pretty simple equation really. Apple has sold a few hundred million devices and built an ecosystem of some of the best customers in the world. They are offering third party developers access to their customers. There is one catch - you have to pay. You must use Apple’s in-app purchase - end of story.

>We have both iOS and Android.

3.1.3(b) is very new to the guidelines and may be related to various anti-trust issues that are quite complex. Under 3.1.3(b) it is unclear how you can access the 'rights' purchased on such a multiplatform service. But is that what you are doing? Is the intent to provide provide access to an iOS device after a purchase on an Android device or other 'platform'? Or is the intent to get around the 30% IAP fee by purchasing directly? If it is the former, then you can help define the methods allowable under 3.1.3(b) through a QR code or the like rather than logging into a webservice. If it is the latter then please don't bias Apple's willingness to accept QR codes for real multiplatform services by claiming otherwise; pay the 30% - or just charge more for use of an iPhone.

Thank you for responses. I understand, that Apple wants to have things under control and make money. That's okay. And we don't have a problem paying that 30% fee if the user bought a game through the app.

But forcing users to buy stuff for the app only through the iPhone and not through other sources (website, other partners which are promoting the content on their sites) is not fair in my opinion.

It is also not fair for developers to demand one-click access to all of Apple's customers without compensating Apple in any way.

There is no requreiment to force users to pay only through the phone. You can offer any other payment options you want. But you also have to offer in-app purchase. The section of the App Store terms and conditions that you posted explicity says that.

You raise a different issue here....

In the first post you wrote "We have both iOS and Android." In that case, 3.1.3(b) is respecting that users may reasonably make a purchase through the Android system and Apple has now agreed to allow that to happen. Now you write "....buy stuff for the app only through the iPhone and not through other sources (website, other partners which are promoting the content on their sites)." That suggests (please correct me if I read that incorrectly) that 'other sources' are non-app sources and are selling stuff for use intended for the app on the iPhone. This is different; I do not think it falls under 3.1.3(b) which refers to 'multiplatform apps' and implies, I believe, that the purchase is through one of those other platforms not through a non-app 'website source' as you might be suggesting. All, IMHO.

If your intent is to present an integrated multiplatform app, good, go for it. If your intent is to avoid that 30% fee then please, stop wasting your time - instead just mark up your price. iPhone users can sue Apple or switch to Android if they object.