Catalina beta 4 crashing/freezing during install/boot

Hi trying to upgrade to the latest beta on my 2015 iMac Retina display. The system reboots and freezes about 1/3 of the way through gets stuck at "extimating time reamaining". have tried force quitting / rebooting usnign keystrokes ("SHIFT" or "COMMAND+OPTION+P+R" or "SHIFT+R" or "SHIFT+D") but none are registering.

My next step will be to restart (or try) in external drive mode and dig around...

Does anyone out there have any better ideas?

Thanks for you help.

same issue. not resolved yet

Same issue. Have tried to boot into safe mode but no luck.

- - - UPDATE - - -

Created an external Catalina boot drive using a USB stick hoping that I could boot from it.

- Restarted the iMac held "Option" key - computer starts booting up as normal gets stuck at "estimating remainig time" no keyboard commands are recognized at boot up.

So far un-recognized boot up key commands:

"T"

"SHIFT"

"SHIFT+R"

"SHIFT+D"

"OPTION"

"COMMAND+R"

"COMMAND+OPTION+P+R"

Does anyone out here have any ideas?

yes same issue here..

I had the same symptoms.

Just give it some time.

Update took about 5 hours on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) but finished successful.

I did the same. Left the install running all night. Came back to the office and it was done. Computer is hot so it definitely took most if not all of the night.

I'm having the same issue on my 2015 Retina iMac. The install gets stuck after about 3-5 minutes. Always the same steps:

1) Reboot

2) "approximately 32 minutes remaining"

3) "approximately 31 minutes remaining"

4) "estimating remaining time"...

Then the progress bar remains unchanged overnight. Leaving it today all day and will leave it overnight too - so 24 hours.

Have tried rebooting while holding down"

"COMMAND+OPTION+P+R"

"COMMAND+R"

"COMMAND+D"

"COMMAND+R"

"COMMAND+D"

"OPTION+R"

"OPTION+D"

"OPTION+T"

"SHIFT+T"

"SHITF"

None of these have any impact on the installation process, it just boots to apple logo and process bar and gets hung up...

Have friend booting from a bootable external drive as well.

This is maddening, any help would be welcome.

Thanks.

What helped me (MacBook Early 2015):

- Launch in recovery mode

- Choose Restore

- Restored Catalina. Took about 3-4 hours

Before that I've also made sure to delete all Time Machine snapshots, as I suspected that verifying them could stall installation.

Same issue with me. No idea at the moment.

Hey guys, I tried to install the public beta 4 yesterday on top of my existing public beta. It got stuck on installing at about 25% I let it run all night and woke up this morning to no movement. This morning I booted it up and recovery mode and had it reinstall Catalina and the progress bar is still stuck. Other than my iCloud and Dropbox backup I do not have a local back up (I know. This was very dumb to do - so please don’t add insult to injury by reminding me.) Should I keep letting it wait? Is there anything else to try? Is there any hope to recovering my data? I’m super bummed that this has happened and I don’t have a Time Machine backup. I would really appreciate if someone could help me out in any way. Thank you.

After letting the install run overnight and then going through rocovery mode and reinstalling the OS and waiting at least 6 hours...the install finally went through...and all my data is there!!!

No idea why this update took so long, but I'm glad to say if you're worried becuase the install is taking a long time, you may still be all good! Just wait it out.

Ok, so after switching out the keyboard from a LOGITECH CRAFT (Bluetooth wireless) to a USB Mac keyboard, I was able to reboot from an external Catalina boot drive. My iMac is pationed:

My main partition:

iMac

iMac - Data

Secondary partition:

iMac02

iMac 02 -Data

I successfully installed catalina on iMac 02. However - I am still not able to install it onto iMac.

from the boot drive - I ran Disk utility on iMac, it was fine. Then I ran it again on iMac - Data and it got stuck at "Checking the fsroot tree"...

Any thoughts?

Many thanks!

FOLLOW UP

So after many re-boots, re-installs, reformating the hard drive, it still does not work. I have found out that Mojave 10.14.6 has a conflict with Catalina, seems to prevent it from installing. After 2 whole days, I finally have a comptuer taht works and am done experimenting... until the next mojave update :-)

Catalina beta 4 crashing/freezing during install/boot

Q