iPad external keyboard spacebar not working properly

Hi,

Recently I installed iPadOS public beta and bought an external third party keyboard. The spacebar of the keyboard does not work properly on some applications including the native email app. When I clicked on the spacebar, it inputs newline instead of space. Also, I noticed I can input space by clicking on shift+spacebar or alt+spacebar.

I tried with another keyboard and same issues persists. Is this an issue from iPadOS public beta?

Anyone experiencing the same issues?

• I use the fixing method as suggested and it worked but only for spacebar. My Tab key still have the same issue in Numbers app. I need to Alt Tab to move to next cell in Numbers. Any way to solve this. Also does this work normally if i use Apple keyboard instead? Other than that the keyboard is working fine.

• The solution offered, to clear the space command, works for me. I also had to clear the commands for “Move Up”, “Move Right”, “Move Down” and “Move Left” to get my arrow keys to work (Zagg Folio keyboard, iPad Mini 4, iPadOS 15 Beta 8). I suggest that you also try clearing your Tab key’s command and any other commands that are not working for you.

• Yes clearing activate from spacebar setting fixes the problem for me.

Replies

Because ipad has a terrible user experience. Horrible.

Yes metoo no joke intended. Also safari is awful without flash. Ipad user experience is awful.

Go to full keyboard access/commands/ then click on activate and clear it.. hope it will resolve :)

I have encountered the same issue.

To solve the problem you need to go as per the follwougn;

• settings
  • Accessibility
  • Keyboards
  • Full Keyboard Access

turn it off

• This helped, thank you for the step by step solution!

• Thanks for this - didn't realize where the options were configured. Worked for me (Zagg RuggedBook + iPad Pro)

Add a Comment

Guys thank you so much because i fixed this issue thanks to y’all.

PS Currently using a 3rd part keyboard

I have the same problem with OS 15 Beta. Spacerbar & tab not working! Very annoying!!!! Upgrade didn’t fix!

I have same issue but mine only started after most recent OS upgrade. I am using genuine Apple keypad with my iPad Pro.

It seems if you are using a Magic Keyboard made from Apple, it’s better to have Full Keyboard Access off. I experimented with deactivating the command (and several others) that overrides the spacebar but the issue was still present in some apps and in terminal. Only when FKA is totally turned off does the spacebar function come back on my iPad Pro (iOS 15, iPad Pro 11in Gen 2). Also from what I’ve experienced, the Magic Keyboards (w/ numpad) loose no functionality when connected to the iPad while FKA is off.

Hope this update helps others. Basically;

• Apple Magic Keyboards: turn FKA completely off
  • 3rd party keyboards: disable the “activate” command

Experienced this issue using an iPad Air & apple external keyboard. Had no issues with the keyboard in any apps/email etc discovered the problem trying to write a paper in the “Pages” application, every time I would hit “Spacebar” it was as if I were hitting the “tab” button to go to the next link. Quick & easy fix! Do the following: Open “Settings”> “Accessibility” > “Keyboards” > “Full Keyboard Access” Turn this off! Once the full keyboard access is turned from “On” to “Off” the issue should resolve. Happy typing! Doing so without use of the space bar is virtually impossible lol.

Why Apple engineers are so stupid as to default to using the Space bar as the hotkey for Activate when Full Keyboard Access enabled? Didn't they ever test this with any application? Sigh!

Magic keyboard spacebar no longer works after update

• Under Settings and Hardware Keyboard clearing out the “Activate” function works for me on iPad OS 16 dev beta. It seems to be a re-occurring issue because I have to constantly change it under both Accessibility and the General “tabs” in Settings.

Add a Comment

This happened to me, if you open settings, scroll down to accessibility, click on the keyboard option and disable the option Full Acces Hope this helps :)

SAME tyvm :D

On iPad Pro with iPadOS 16.6. issue also fixed by unchecking the Full Keyboard Access, which is under Accessibility/Keyboards