'log config --mode "private_data:on" ': Was removed on Beta2 [How to enable it now?]

Hi,

the command to show full log messages (private ones) was removed on new Catalina Beta2 (it was working until Beta1).

Does anyone knows anything about on how to enable it now?

sudo log config --mode "private_data:on"
Password:
log: Invalid Modes 'private_data:on'

Replies

Having this problem as well. Still no solution in Beta 7 of 10.15 (Catalina).

This is really a problem because I have tried to be a Good Developer by making almost all log entries contain ${private}. But now in Catalina my reward is that I can't see anything useful in my application's logs.

I don't understand why Apple would remove this feature.

Am I supposed to change my code to make everything ${public} in Catalina? Seem like a bad solution but when I help customers I need to see that private data.

Agreed. Otherwise what is the point in logging private data at all. I can understand Apple's privacy stance, but there still needs to be a way for a developer to get useful logs from users without making everything public. Even if it requires the user to explicitly agree to any diagnostics being sent to 3rd parties before they are.

Ok this is solved. It looks like the way to enable private data is to create and install a configuration profile.

I've tested out this example and it works great!

https://www.cmdsec.com/unified-logs-enable-private-data/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf