Watch App as "in app purchase"

Hi all,

I have a small iOS App (with notifications and so on, therefore already "connected to Watch) and I would like to develop a Watch app so that you can do basic tasks from the watch.

The iOS App is free, but I would like to have the Watch App as "in app purchase", is that possible?

How should I set up the Xcode project? Should the Watch App be integrated in the same project or should it be a new or separate one?

Thanks

Marco

Replies

I don’t think you can have the IAP enable the watch app. You can make the watch app do almost nothing without the IAP and when the user buys the IAP have the watch app work robustly.

If you consider that you are effectively 'unlocking' xyz functionality, the ASRGs say this about that...

3.1.1 In-App Purchase:

If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, (by way of example: subscriptions, in-game currencies, game levels, access to premium content, or unlocking a full version), you must use in-app purchase.

I would work with one project.

Yes you can. Have the watchOS app embedded into the iOS app but only activated when the user has purchased the corresponding iAP from the iOS app. Examples of apps which does this includes Nano and 1Password.

Search the web for “How to Sell watchOS Applications as an In-App Purchase” for more information.