Accessing the editing detail button of UITableViewCell

I've got a UITableViewCell that is in a TableView that is in editing mode. I have the cell's editing accent set to the Detail option. How can I access that little circle detail button that appears when my table view goes into editing mode, so that I can add a target to it?

Accepted Reply

You usually do not and should not access the accessory button of a table view cell.

When you want to invoke some code when the accessory button is tapped, you implement a method defined in UITableViewDelegate.

func tableView(UITableView, accessoryButtonTappedForRowWith: IndexPath)

func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, accessoryButtonTappedForRowWith indexPath: IndexPath) {
    //...
}
  • What if you wanted to add an accessibilityLabel to the detail button. If you cannot access it, you can inform a visually impaired user that it is there.

Add a Comment

Replies

Do you want to add a target (why?, target is the tableView itself) or an action ?

That's not needed for adding action.

When you want to edit (delete row or move row with drag and drop), set the tableView:

table.isEditing = true

the red minus button ➖ shows.

The Action is then defined in

func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, commit editingStyle: UITableViewCell.EditingStyle, forRowAt indexPath: IndexPath) {

if editingStyle == .delete {
          // Do what's appropriate
        }

// then return editingMode to false
     table..isEditing = false
}

You usually do not and should not access the accessory button of a table view cell.

When you want to invoke some code when the accessory button is tapped, you implement a method defined in UITableViewDelegate.

func tableView(UITableView, accessoryButtonTappedForRowWith: IndexPath)

func tableView(_ tableView: UITableView, accessoryButtonTappedForRowWith indexPath: IndexPath) {
    //...
}
  • What if you wanted to add an accessibilityLabel to the detail button. If you cannot access it, you can inform a visually impaired user that it is there.

Add a Comment