Simulator screenshots invalid for XS Max

Screenshots taken within Simulator 10 now mask out the curved corners and "notch" with transparency, at least on the XS Max simulator.
This creates an issue because App Store Connect rejects any screenshots with transparency.

This creates problems because either part of the screenshot is lost behind the "notch" if one adds a black background to the PNG, or the only way to upload full screenshots is by taking them from a real XS Max (not an option for many developers because the price is so high).

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of afruitpie Down vote post of afruitpie
2.9k views

Replies

You may need to wait for the backend to be updated to know about the new requirements.

What are you doing to take the screenshot? If you take it from Simulator.app's File menu, it should not save with the notch.

Also, if you use the simctl command line tool, it has the option to save with or without the notch applied, and if the mask is applied, it can be applied as either black in the RGB or as alpha.

I take screenshots from Apple Watch Series 4 Simulator (Simulator.app's File menu).

Yesterday they had round corners and transparency... today not.

It's really strange...

Please file a radar as this is the first I've heard of the issue.

Given that the issue "flip flops" between being masked (wrong) and unmasked (correct), what is allowing the change to occur? Do we roll the dice on simualtor device reboot? Does it require restarting CoreSimulatorService / rebooting your mac? If you request an unmasked screenshot using simctl when in this state, does simctl output a masked screenshot? What if you ask for a masked one, does it output unmasked? Any other information you can provide will be immensely useful.

Can it be related to "defaults write com.apple.CoreSimulator.IndigoFramebufferServices FramebufferRendererHint 0" command?

Because I had problems with some simulators (black screen) from the first beta and now they magically work correctly.

I think this command starts working after a computer reboot.

Today I cannot reproduce any kind of these bugs, it's all working as expected...

We also experienced similar issue with Xcode 14.2. The screenshot below is directly captured from an iOS 16.2 iPhone 14 Pro Max Simulator. Cannot repro on other co-workers' environment. Additionally, the simctl status_bar command doesn't work since iOS 16.0 sims.

Link to the screenshot: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Esri/arcgis-maps-sdk-swift-samples/72f9a8fdbf859ca4c0dc5dd75119c4c2de2632ff/Shared/Samples/Sketch%20on%20the%20map/sketch-on-map-2.png